Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 311 Posts

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently building a 4600 class Toyota truck for KOH 2020. I came back from the 2019 KOH, parted out my truggy, bought a Toyota truck and started building.
Specs-
Toyota truck
22r on GotPropane
W56 transmission
Marlin ultimate dual transfer cases
OEM Toyota front axle housing
4.88 gears Detroit locker
OEM Toyota rear axle housing
4.88 gears spool
TrailGear leaf springs front/ rear
Fox 2.5s with reservoir
35” DOT Krawlers
15” DIY bead locks

Old build thread.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/2062770-86-toyota-truggy.html

Truggy last ride and disassembly.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Laying out some measurements for the cage. Measure, cut, notch and weld up some 1 3/4” .120 wall DOM for the main structure. 1 1/2” .120 wall DOM for the bumpers.

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
:eek: :eek: hells yeah :smokin:

save weight at every possible chance you get, looking forward to seeing this get built up. air bumps are now class legal :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea man, I got some air bumps! Trying to keep this as simple and light as possible. A reliable trail rig with racing stuff.

Toyota axles with all the normal weld on stuff. Diff stud eliminator, fox 2.5 12” and 10”. Freshly rebuilt 4.88 diffs along with my old Detroit locker that’s all blown up.

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
what is the plan for the rear bumper? It looks big, like slap that ass and hold on for the ride big. Are you not concerned about horrible drop off angle?

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what is the plan for the rear bumper? It looks big, like slap that ass and hold on for the ride big. Are you not concerned about horrible drop off angle?
LOL, I made the bumper stick out so far because the bed was bobbed. I am trying to make it the same length as it would normally be so I hopefully won’t have any issues with tech inspection.

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
My crawl box is 2.28.
i think that was his point :flipoff2:

How fast can your suspension keep up running in the desert/sand?

gear it so that you can hit that speed redline 4th gear with the crawl box in low range

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
No tubing bender? I noticed every bar in your cage is straight and sort of Lincoln logged together. Never seen a cage built like that before.... Any worries about passing tech?

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
No tubing bender? I noticed every bar in your cage is straight and sort of Lincoln logged together. Never seen a cage built like that before.... Any worries about passing tech?
i see lots of trophy truck chassis with only one or two bends throughout the whole chassis, typically the A and B pillars

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
So have I. JHF buggys and the Goatbuilt buggys as an example, only have one or two bends in the chassis. Never saw a chassis built with zero bends though...
i did my cab cage like that on my pickup, rolled it over a few times (yeah all low speed) and never had any issues with it.

Nodes are effective as long as they are braced and welded properly, no reason it would fail tech. straight tubes are, in a marginal sense, stronger than bent tubes.

consider that whenever you bend a tube you are changing the dimensional shape of it, either by smooshing the cross section or by thinning out the walls.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Junk in the trunk.
Done-
Spare tire mount
Propane tank
Battery box
Spare coolant
Floor jack
Triangle reflector