Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one for my chassis...

Do you think the "wings" will get in the way (my chassis is really cramped).

Which model of kirkeys do most of you run? (or RCI)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
You don't have much mobility with those style seats. They are great for Autocross or road racing, but in this sport you need to move around and twist this way and that..... Corbeau is the way to go in my opinion......
http://www.afm4x4.com/ and go to catalog and then seats and harnesses....
I got the Fatass version of the Baha SS Ultra..... I LOVE IT!!!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I got the summit plastic ones as a kit with the covers. 60.00 ea and they are very comfortable.
I have them in my daily driver jeep also.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they won't fit (corbeau), i have a set as we speak. so the alternative is these. As far as twisting, i wear the 5 points at all times (required in the comps now, as far as I understand), so twisting around is not a problem. So no wings is the verdict so far...what does Shaffer run?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
NARROW THE CORBEAUS.. THEY WILL BE TRICK!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'll be the odd ball. I vote for the wings. I have Bulter seats in mine, similiar to the kirkey's. I rolled 9 times last year and never got a bruise or was very sore. You can NOT move in them, but you sure are safe!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
How much do those aluminum seats weigh?

They also look very tall. Last season I ran some dynamic auto design seats and did not like how tall they were. Made it pretty difficult to see anything behind the seat.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
It really depends on how big your ass is. You dont want to cram 10 pounds of ass into a 3pound space, I went with the one in the middle with wings for the roll factor like toploader said.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
RCI seats

Just a heads up on the RCI seats from Summit, I ordered 4 of the 8000s style and what I recieved does not look like what is pictured. The build quality is very poor (lots of rough edges from the molding process), the mounts they send are crap, and they bolt through the bottom of the seat (they do not have the built in nuts on the bottom like others). I have a email in to Summit asking what the hell, but have not heard back.

On the good side, they have cut outs in the back for a single strap or double.

Good luck.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
Call MasterCraft...Robbie has a few tricks up hios sleeve for those looking for custom sized, ultra-lightweight seats...that you can sit in all day and be comfy!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is ordered for a price match of 80 bucks from jegs...

clicky

for a 30 dollar handling fee:mad:

although, i punched it into UPS, and came up with a 40 dollar shipping charge, so that takes the sting out of it. so much for the "free shipping", as if the 899 wasn't bad enough, 12 bucks per package for oversized, out of box fee.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I really like the Corbeau and the prices may be pricy on some but some of the others are rather competitive

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Re: RCI seats

ohfck said:
Just a heads up on the RCI seats from Summit, I ordered 4 of the 8000s style and what I recieved does not look like what is pictured. The build quality is very poor (lots of rough edges from the molding process), the mounts they send are crap, and they bolt through the bottom of the seat (they do not have the built in nuts on the bottom like others). I have a email in to Summit asking what the hell, but have not heard back.

On the good side, they have cut outs in the back for a single strap or double.

Good luck.
thats strange, mine were great, just like they were pictured...rather than emailing, I would get on the horn and start calling...they have, IMO, one of the best customer services around...mine also have the nuts inset in the seat...I think you got screwed...but the mounts are pretty crappy...its just a couple pieces of angle...I would have been pissed about the mounts if I had to buy them but I got them for free...

·
Lurking since 1956
10,418 Posts
I use the Kirkey Drag seats also. I have no problems with them. I slide right over the wings because when I get in I'm sitting on the downbar on the cage. I do use a quick disconnect steering wheel though. They are surprisingly comfortable. I have'nt noticed any limitations from the seat. The 5 point harness does though.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I run the oldstyle RCI polyseats. I dont think they deserve all the negative critisism they're getting as to being uncomfortable. I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Re: Re: RCI seats

Supergper said:

thats strange, mine were great, just like they were pictured...rather than emailing, I would get on the horn and start calling...they have, IMO, one of the best customer services around...mine also have the nuts inset in the seat...I think you got screwed...but the mounts are pretty crappy...its just a couple pieces of angle...I would have been pissed about the mounts if I had to buy them but I got them for free...
I just got off the phone with Summit who called RCI. Evidently the seats have been redesigned and the new style is what I received. They say that they have had problems with the nut inserts pulling out in the past and that the new design is safer. Maybe so but it now leaves a place for mud and water to collect on top of the bolt and under your ass.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts