Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What radiators are you using? In the past I have used a 4wd hardware conversion radiator and was not real happy with it. Be Cool is way overpriced, so I am looking into the "universal" ones that Summit carries. Is one brand better than another? I'll have to build some brackets and weld them to the radiator, but other than that I see no problem with it. What do you think?

Dan

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I use a 19 x 24 from Howe, got it through Summit.

The quality difference is obvious, as compared to a Griffin.

·
FOF
2,864 Posts
I'm using a Griffin aluminum 2 row radiator. I got it at a local speed shop for $180. Sumit has it for the same price but + shipping. I'm running a TBI 350 in my CJ 7 with stock clutch fan. The hottest I have ever seen it was 205 deg on the Sierra Trek, about 95 deg outside temp. I have used Elect fan, and flex fan they are marginal at best. The stock clutch fan is the way to go. The only downside to the griffin is you have to make your own mounts.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Charly said:

The quality difference is obvious, as compared to a Griffin.
really??? I had them side by side and couldn;t tell a difference as far as quality...theres a reason a lot of the rodders are using Griffins...:D

I use a 19x24 griffin...they are cheaper than most the others and are just as nice if not nicer...

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
pepe said:
The only downside to the griffin is you have to make your own mounts.
you have to do that with most aluminum radiators...no biggie for me though, I just tigged a couple angle brackets on and drilled a couple holes and it was then a bolt in deal:D

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I got a CJ V8 conversion 3 core rad from 1-800-radiator (or was it 1-888?) for $130 to my doorstep. It's going into my '84 J10 with 289 6 cyl stroked AMC 6 cyl.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I started with the Mepco 3 core, high efficiency one......not enough. Restricts air flow too much.

Then went to their 4 core. That helped. Was using a flex fan, didn't work. Went to dual 10" electrics with custom shroud....no good (worked good idling, very poor on the freeway and streets). Went to stock CJ fan with fixed blades and a fan clutch. Worked good, but needed a shroud. then made a custom shroud for it and has worked AWESOME.

BTW: I live in Phoenix where it gets to 110F regularly in the summers. I daily drive it. The highest temps I've seen is 210F and that is running down the freeway (4.56 gears and an auto with no overdrive). I run a carbureted 350 and an auto tranny.

Friend has a 2 core aluminum with his vortec 350 in his CJ7. He runs a 16" pusher electric in the front and a stock fixed blade fan (no shroud) on the motor side. I would say his is the best of all worlds. Works even better than mine. His runs 190F (thrmostat setting) no matter what he is doing.

That is my experience..............take it for what it is worth.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
i run a 4 row cj style brass radiator. i also run a dual 11" electric fan setup from SPAL. i have no cooling issues. if i were starting new i would go with one of the Grifins from summit. they are cheap (my 4 row was $200+) and work very well. as for electric vs. mechanical fans well you get what you pay for when it comes to electric. the fans you can buy off the shelf at the local parts store will not cut it. i know several people running the SPAL dual 11" setup that i am and all are pleased with the performance. another good electric fan setup is the dual setup of of a 90's z28 camero. sunray eng. use this setup and they work well. i tried many diferent economy fan setups before i went with the SPAL unit and spent more that the $200 the SPAL cost me experimenting with the cheaper setups. if you plan on running electric definately do it right the first time.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I took the stock radiator (258 engine) and added two more cores. With that, my 1989 350 never gets hotter that 190 degrees in any condition.
I was able to use the stock mounts also. ;)

·
FOF
2,864 Posts
I should add that i never got around to putting my shroud on(dont need it) Griffin, stock chevy clutch fan, and 190deg thermostat. It's a bitch getting it to warm up in the winter though. I probably should change out the thermostat in the winter. Oh well a pice of cardboard in front of the radiator works just fine. I have heard bad things about the cheeper aluminum radiators are epoxy sealed to the tanks and the epoxy could crack over time.

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
Stock chevy 3 core from Napa 160.00, stock chevy clutch fan. No problems. drill a 1/4" hole in your fan befor you insall it so that if it goes out on the trail you cab bolt it up and still stays cool.
Search for Taurus fans. Seems to work for a lot of folks. Good luck.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
hmmmm cheap aluminum radiator....
but its not epoxied :flipoff2:
all welded,american made,billet filler kneck,two 1in cores,blingity bling bling and shat
169 bucks on ebay and they guy sells them all day long (he posts up 50 or so diffrent sizes/tube styles at a time)
:edit: oh ya this one is 19x23 and i run it with 2 fans from a mazda 626 on a custom aluminum shroud, just cut the holes for the fans in a sheet of steel and space it from the radiator with 3/4 foam door/window sticky backed shat to give good even pull and to protect the radiator. whatever fan you do DO NOT use the threw the radiator zip-tie thingies that come with electric fans.they will eventualy wear threw the core.
ask me how i learned this :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts