Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some searching on different forum boards but haven't come up with an answer. I have a Scout II with a 3" body lift. Everything went fine and I have had it like that for many years. Here's my problem, I went to replace the lower radiator hose with a new one, but the new one wants to kink and pinch shut from the odd angle from the raised position of the radiator. The original hose that was on it was different, possible a factory IH part, I'm not sure, either way, it was stiffer and didn't kink like the new "Gates" hose I purchased. I'm just curious as to what most of you that have body lifts are using for lower radiator hoses.

Jeff

'71 Scout II
T19, D20
33" tires D44's 4.09 gears w/ detroits f/r

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm with OS about a 3" BL. I moved my rad forward and down , but then again I have a 1979 Bronco rad in mine with a lincoln fan.

Ritch

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
My current Scout came with a 3 inch bL, It is a early Kentrol glass tub, and from what I can see at least 2 inches of it are necessary for chassis clearance. Other than off camber angles with trees nearby it has never caused me any grief. Why are you guys so strongly against them?

For the newbie maybe he sold you the wrong hose

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
ChiScouter said:
blah blah blah....why are you guys so strongly against them?
The bl raises your center of gravity creating a slightly top heavy rig...It is not reeeaaallly that big of an issue BUT every bit of lowered weight per inch of tire and clearance is one inch closer to stability.

This goes along with the current trend to run the longest spring with minimum arch (lift) possible and no body lift. Run the biggest tire possible and cut the shit out of your body. Then bumpstop the compression right before tire meets metal. If your front and rear suspension are equal in travel and spring rate you should have a nice tight roll center at a ground hugging low weight.

A body lift will not make...but at least assist making you iffy on off camber situations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts