Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those running v8's (i understand there is alot of variables) but in general on SBC's what size radiators are yall getting away with? and do the dual pass radiators do any better? It will be a rear mounted radiator. Just trying to find the smallest AL radiator to cool my junk (6.0L vortec) it will be a trail rig that i want to be able to bounce off the rev limiter for a good long time if needed.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I ran a single pass 19x22 aluminum with 2 1" cores and recently swapped it out to a 19x24 dual pass aluminum with 2 1" cores and there was a bigger difference in inlet/outlet temps. It helped a slight bit keeping my 350 cooler but it still runs hot. At this point I think it comes down to the crappy fan Im running and not the radiators fault. Taurus fan will be going in soon. I wouldnt go any smaller than a 19x24 single with a really good fan.

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
LS1, cheap summit 21x19 single pass AL and 16" fan from advance, runs cool until the exhaust gets nice and red, takes no time to cooll back down.

5.3 summit 22 x 19 single pass, factory fan, never get hot for the original owner.

5.7 vortec, 27x 19 single pass, main fan craped out, ran cool on a cheap 14 in pusher fan in 90+ temps, never over 200 with 180 thermostat.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
think a 16"x28" will be good enough. that is the exact size i need as far as space i have to work with in the rear and keep it where i want it. i know ron davis has one that size with the shroud/fan combo, its 725.00 bones though.....

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Since running the rad in rear ive had a hard time keeping it cool... installed this rad and shroud (thanks will and nate) temps dont get over 210 even in 100+ temps :smokin:
Avoid using the universal flex hoses in excess.. they swell bad.

~Mo

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is the one im thinking about, the 725 bucks is with the shroud/fan also included. Im thinking with dual fans and the shroud like it is it should cool it, but i hate to drop that kind of coin on a damn radiator especially when i dont have it :D

spec's on it.

* 28" wide x 16" tall x 3" thick (7.5" thick including fan)
* Standard filler neck
* Chevy double pass style outlets
* 1.5" inlet & outlet diameter
* Dual 13" Spal fans - 3420 CFM combined
* 2 rows of 1" wide tubes

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
That will deffinatly keep it cool but for 159.99 rad, 100.00 blackmagic (used) or taurus $35, you'll have some coin to spend elsewhere :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts