Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 F150 front 44 going into my YJ. What kind of clearance issues will i have with 3.5" BS wheels with 38'5" SX's rubbing the stock radius arms?

What is everyone else running and do they rub or not?

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Matt- my EB w/36x12.5's on 3" bs rub a little so I'm going to guess with 14.5's and 3.5" bs you're get a lot of rub. You might try welding a 1/2 piece of tubing on the arm at the spot the tire hits. I've seen it done and it worked very well;)

I wish I had a pic, maybe someone else can post one. It's a pretty common mod.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
The Rockslut said:
But what about the wider F150 axle? Isnt there more clearance from the arm to the WMS on a full width axle???

Thanks for the specs
Doh! Damn, I didn't even think about that, but you're right. I'll measure mine from the arm to the knuckle weld tonight and give you the spec. That should give you a frame of reference to work from;)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I am running an EB axle with 3.75" BS wheels and 1 3/4" Spacers... basically 2" BS wheels... with 24.50 SX's... no rubbing, but pretty close. I think when I am aired down and flexed out on the trail I may rub a little.

Doug

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I run 37x12.50x15 and I built my arms with a 27* bend in right were the tire would hit and I have 1"+ before hitting and still get stock full turn out of it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The Rockslut said:
But what about the wider F150 axle? Isnt there more clearance from the arm to the WMS on a full width axle???

Thanks for the specs
No, the f150 frame is much wider than the eb so you end up with about the same distance from the c-bush to the wms. That's one of the advantages of the earlier housings with weld on/moveable C's . If you can make frame mounts on your heep as narrow as the eb then you coulds switch your guts to one of these housings & move the C's in. You could gain a little by just building your frame mounts narrower and forcing the arms in. You won't lose that much flex but may end up eating the frame dounuts more quickly. BTDT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts