Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was helping a buddy put radius arms under his cherokee yesterday. While we were getting teh c-wedges in place to tack weld them he was playing around and flexing it. It flexed good with the wedges being able to rotate around the housing and so I explained to him how this was the same idea as the bearing in the axle tube. Then I tried to get him to try an idea I had after I put my arms on, but he wouldn't try it. Enough rambling. Has any one tried welding the wedges to a tube clamped around the housing so it could rotate. My thought was to take a tube and split it. Then weld it up so it could be bolted together around the housing. Put a couple zerk fittings in it for grease. Weld the wedges to it. And then weld stops around the axle tube on both sides of the wedges so they couldn't move side to side. It would probably be better if the tube aroung the axle was machined. I haven't searched to see if anyone has tried this. I just figured I would check and see. This would put the point the radius arm rotates about at the center of the tube versus to the outside of it where wristing puts it. Just a thought. It wouldn't be that hard to do compared to wristing if you have to weld on wedges anyway.

·
Banned
1,836 Posts
hey man, whats up......

Ok bro, here is the hook up.... check this site out and then get ahold of Toby Lavender....He is a sick Fawker....He will hook ya up. http://www.lavenderbrothers.com./
Hope this helps....Jeremy

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
hit up chuck at Bc broncos for the Wristed Axle Housing. Seen it in person and WOW. someone put some time into that thing. eliminates all the binding too. great CS from chuck as well.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I apreciate ya'lls comments, but I evidentally didn't make myself clear. I am not wanting someone to make it. I could, but I just want to get my truck running so no changes for me. Mine is already wristed. Also I know about the wristed arms and the split housing with the bearing. I am just curious if anyone has ever tried fixing the bind this way. It would work as good as the bearing in the tube but way cheaper and less work. The only negetive I see would be the posibility of wearing down the axle tube and weakening the axle. But I think it would take a while if given a proper fit and if it was kept properly greased.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
so basically a bearing without the bearing?
just have the axle housing get ground away by a piece of tube?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
A guy I know has done exactly this on the rear of his XJ. Pipe around the axle tube welded together. It works great. It is not driven on the street, and he just keeps it greased.

Danny

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did this on my TJ front end that uses Ford radius arms. I only have the passenger side floating on the axle tube. I did weld a ring to the axle tube on each side of the C-wedge to keep it in place. I've had it this way for 4-years and have had no problems. I didn't weld the C-wedges to a tube though, just cleaned them up so they were smooth and let them ride directly on the axle tube. I've had it apart a few times and it doesn't seem to be wearing on the axle tube much and I don't grease it that often.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
I did it on my buddies jeep when we put ford frt suspension under it i split and welded a peice f tube around r.s axle tube and fit and welded wedges to tube there is a retainer ring on each side of it to keep it located and 2 grease fitting to keep it lubed. It really allows it to flex up frt but can't make no comparisons since we went from leaf springs to coils with rotator all at same time
I like it well enough that when I put 60 under front of my 75 bronco I will design some thing like it for it also
as far as wear you actually get very little rotation other than when really twisting it up hard

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Nor Cal Wheelin said:
Ok bro, here is the hook up.... check this site out and then get ahold of Toby Lavender....He is a sick Fawker....He will hook ya up. http://www.lavenderbrothers.com./
Hope this helps....Jeremy

Yes, Toby did this on his Flatty search for the ttC 02 pics, and there are some pics of it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts