Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be swapping a HP 44 from a 78 ford bronco underneath my 89 xj soon. I was wondering what are the benefits versus downfalls of running a type of radius arm set up (using the stock mounts on the axle and fabbing some joint mounts undernesth the xj (no bushings at the frame connection point). This with some 8" coils. The other option I was debating was the T&T y link set up. I know this is a really good set up but quite a bit more expensive than the radius arms. How much better would the T&T setup work.

Also if when swapping to fullsize axles I dont move the coil mounts how negative is this on safety and performance if the coil springs lean slightly inwards as the go up (/ \) Not that severe though.

And lastely where would I purchase the mounts necessary to attach the y link to my axle (if I go this route over radius arms)

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Just an FYI - the T&T setup is a radius arm design as well.

I don't understand what you mean by 'no bushings at the frame connection'...do you mean you'd have a flex joint there? That's what I did in my radius arm build and I'm extremely happy with how it is working so far.

If you want to run the standard Ford radius arms, I highly recommend either wristing the passenger side arm, or changing out the frame-style mount to a flex joint of some kind.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
ahh its pritty much the most popular long arm front suspension setup for the XJ, TJ, ZJ and MJ

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean by wristing the arms. I was planning on running a flex joint at the frames if I did it. Does anyone know where to get the mounts I would need to put the T&T y link on a hp 44. Just the uper and lower link mounts?

Also does any have an opinion on the downsides of running coils that arent perfectly straight.

·
Registered
569 Posts
it works well I saw a guy at Telico in september that ran ford radius arm with Heim joints on the end of them where your bushing would be. it was on an xj as well.

The 78 broco D44 is a bad choice though. The axle tubes are very thin and where the "C" bracket attaches, this is not solid axle its cast into the housing this way. you would be stuck using the ford setup on these axles and if your springs are inboard or outboard of this connection, you can easily over stress this area.

if you want a strong D44 for cheap, keep the bronco housing, and get an older ford housing (pre 76) they have very thick axle tubes but have drum brakes. You can pic these up pretty cheap (i got one for 100 bucks). Swap out the shafts, and knuckles out and you have a very strong D44 with disk brakes for under 300 bucks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are these pre 76 axles hp. I really want an hp due to suspension factors. What would be a good one to look for. I could sell this one for me than I paid so I wouldnt be upset about it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
yes, all early Bronco or F100/f150 are HP. But there are issues with brakes if you go the early route with the drum brakes. a Disk brake swap isn't that simple and a kit is big money.

the problem is sometime in 72 1/2 -73 ford changed the spindle holes, they maybe a 6 stud design . In this case the only way to do a disk brake setup is to go to a chevy system which used chevy spindles, and calipers, and f150 rotors and hubs.
OR, you do a knuckle out swap wich is pretty easy (i did mine in about 3 -4 hours) A kit to swap it over will run you about 450-600 bucks. But you can use the 78 bronco knuckles out and rebuild the brakes.

If its a 5 bolt design on the spindles, you can swap out using nearly any newer ford stuff.

this way you have all "ford" parts ( I know its all dana). and you can use the other axle for spare shafts.

I have a HP D44 (from a 72 F100) with 5:38 gears, disk brakes and detroit locker, complete new (rebuilt) disk brakes and spare axles shafts. I'm only ito all of it for about 1000 bucks.

The best thing about the older (pre-76) axle tubes are 1/2" thick while the new ones are like 3/8" at best.

as for the best one to look for, do you want to be stock width or full width?

If full width ( i believe 76 or 77 F150) had the weld on "c"'s on the axle and disk brakes.. Stay away from 78-79 bronco D44hp.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
IV WHLN said:
Search for a build up by Rokjeep. Nice XJ with radius arms and RE 7.5" coils.
Thanks CT. The title is "Another fullwidth XJ buildup". I was going to link it here but the search function is gone right now. There are quite a few pics. I used a 78 F-150 HPD44 and 8 lugged the outers. You will see in the pics the brackets I made to get rid of the angle on the coils and make sure they are vertical.

Geoff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts