Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing bodywork on my cruiser for the past few days...it's a real pain in the ass. I thought the welding was gonna be the hard part, but its a piece of cake compared to the bondo work. Anyway's, I'll have some pictures posted tomorrow.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dude you live in Califonia.......... You cant whine about body work. Come to Canada where cruisers came from the factory with rust:flipoff2:

Now I HATE body work:mad:

Dan

·
Registered
144 Posts
Body work is the most annoying thing for me and when you hit something with your rig - you'll get a dent and/or scratch. :mad:
Then why bother doing all that shine-stuff work?
I've ended up cutting of most of my body parts and now I am going to use aluminum plates instead.;) Then cheapo spray paint job does it. I'd rather invest into suspension and transmission than body.

Andrey

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
:flipoff2:

I'll raise both hands....er...fingers....lol

IMO, dents show character, and my Cruiser is full of them!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
...or you could have a custom tub from poor wally's in vermont made out of 3/16th's and 1/4". No more body work...ever. Even here in the northeast.

Buddy put one over on the highway at 60, rolled a few times, and slid for a LONG ways with no cage. Walked out and they were able to salvage the tub for a rebuild. No shit. BigRedFJ40 can back this up.

OLD pic from last winter. A little different now with an soa/sua, pto, 34x9.5 swampers, etc...and mangled fenders.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
rabid said:
...or you could have a custom tub from poor wally's in vermont made out of 3/16th's and 1/4". No more body work...ever. Even here in the northeast.

Buddy put one over on the highway at 60, rolled a few times, and slid for a LONG ways with no cage. Walked out and they were able to salvage the tub for a rebuild. No shit. BigRedFJ40 can back this up.

OLD pic from last winter. A little different now with an soa/sua, pto, 34x9.5 swampers, etc...and mangled fenders.
I can certainly attest to that, more than once I've seen of those FJ40's smack HARD into a tree with the side of the tub only to bounce back, maybe leaving a bit of paint behind, completely unscathed...VERY COOL! The fact that Johnny C.'s truck is still drivable should be a commercial for those tubs! :)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
mantis said:
The only two items needed for body work:

sawzall and rustoleum. :flipoff2:
A-FREAKING-MEN TO THAT BROTHER! THATS WHAT I DID, AND I HATED THAT SHIT!

PLASMA CUTTER IS NICE TOO... WISH I HAD ONE HERE

AND 1/4 AND 3/16" TUB... SEEMS LIKE OVERKILL TO ME. THERE IS A FINE LINE BETWEEN BEING BURLY AND BEING OVERLY HEAVY AND CAUSEING DRIVELINE STRESS AND BREAKAGE. CANT BE EASY ON A WINCH EITHER...

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Let me be the third to thank who ever it is that invented the sawzall. :D Got a dent?? Cut it off, got a scatch?? Rattle rattle spray spray. Done. :D

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
FIXXXXAH said:

AND 1/4 AND 3/16" TUB... SEEMS LIKE OVERKILL TO ME. THERE IS A FINE LINE BETWEEN BEING BURLY AND BEING OVERLY HEAVY AND CAUSEING DRIVELINE STRESS AND BREAKAGE. CANT BE EASY ON A WINCH EITHER...[/SIZE]
It ends up only being a few hundred more pounds than a stock truck, or roughly the same as a stocker with a hardtop. It is tough, and probably overkill, but it will always be there, never rust through, and will always keep it's shape. the trails around here are so tight that it makes it pretty great to be able to use the tub to pivot around obstacles without smashing it to pieces, or being even remotely concerned that it is going to fold in.

I would guess that seeing the amount of tubing half you guys use would about break even in the weight factor!!:D If we ever put one over, it is light, without much room for multiple flops. we really have no real need for more than a 6 point cage.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I hate bodywork now, I have been working on the 40's bodywork for a couple of months now and I am sick of it. I can't wait to start wiring the motor and running other things.

·
Registered
641 Posts
yeah, I've been putting off repaint work

and i've got a sandblaster:eek:

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
woody said:
:flipoff2:

I'll raise both hands....er...fingers....lol

IMO, dents show character, and my Cruiser is full of them!
Bingo!!!:D

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
fj40john said:
and what does on eof these overbuilt monsters run??
It depends. He does them all as custom jobs so that the doors fit right, the top fits, etc. He usually only does the tub on your truck. Once in a while he will sell a truck with a tub, but it is rare. The tub on your truck runs between 3-4K- or around there. Just 3/16th's quarters are MUCH cheaper, but usually if the truck has been in the northeast for any amount of time, it needs a full tub, not just quarters. The main supports are 1/4", and so is the main beam behind the seats. When you price out a fiberglass or aluminum tub plus install, it is a really good solution to the salt monster.

I would do it again in a heartbeat...oh wait.....I'll never have to. :flipoff2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts