Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I wanted to say hi since I'm new here.
I will soon be getting a 1991 dodge ram 50 4x4 with a blown engine, so I am going to swap in a Mitsubishi DOHC 3.0 in place of the blown SOHC 3.0. My question is that it is an automatic and I was planning on just swapping in the manual that came in ram 50 or mighty maxs but I soon found out that they aren't easy to find and are usually quite expensive, so I did a little researching and found out the same A500 auto it has in it was used in the dodge dakota and durango with the 3.9 and 5.2. They I said well if the A500 bolts to the 3.9 and 5.2 and thats the trans I have, why wouldn't the NV3500 from a dakota fit my 3.0?
So does anyone have any info on this? I know this forum is more geared toward fullsize trucks and dakotas but I figured someone may know.
Thanks for any info anyone has.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The bellhousings 5.2 and 3.9 are different from the 3.0.. Chrysler had some tranny cases specially cast to fit other engines such as Mitsubishi and Jeep..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, thanks for the info though Warlock, its seems like nobody knew the answer. How much wiring does a 5.2 or 5.9 have. Because I was aslo thinking of swapping in one of them?(because I would like to keep the engine a dodge) I know people that put in carbed ones but I never saw one fuel injected. I know I would have to upgrade the trans and all that too. I was planning on running 60's front and rear or would a 44 be ok for up front?, and whichever manual that bolts to the 5.2 or 5.9, the nv4500???
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
The wiring for the dodge motors is pretty simple. It wouldn't take too much to swap as far as the wiring goes...

As far as axles go, it depends on how and where you wheel and tire size as to what will hold up.

There are several different trannys you can choose from depending on what kind of gear ratios you are looking for.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The most common in 1/2 ton trucks is the NVG3500.. I do not know where you are but if you are interested there is a guy down the street from me that has a 96 with a 360/NVG3500/NP231? he is asking $1100..he is using the front fenders/hood and bed to fix another truck he has..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts