Pirate 4x4 banner

Ram assit steering, locker and pushing

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  95geo 
#1 ·
The YJ is set up with a PSC ram assit system. That is the whole kit from PSC.
Pump, box, ram, cooler, res. lines, the works.

Several times I have had problems with the front end pushing while trying to turn on the trail or up a hill. That is the steering does not respond to steering wheel input fast enough.

Engine is turning 2000 rpm + so the pump is putting out.

Have had the same thing happen while doing low speed parking lot turns. Engine at an almost idle. Turn the steering wheel and the ram does not respond fast enough. Now at idle I can understand that the pump is not putting out a lot of pressure. But at 2000 rpm it ought to be.

Now maybe the other factor is the locker in the rear axle wanting to keep pushing straight rather then allowing the YJ to turn. Ok I can see that but it still doesnt not explain why the ram does not respond to steering wheel inputs fast enough.

Keep in mind that this only happens when trying to turn fast. Not as in mph fast but in turning the steering wheel fast.

For the record.
HP44 with Tru Trac and hi steer
Detroit in the rear
37 CC`s

Common with ram steering ? Or something not allowing the ram to get pressure on quick turns ?

Thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
This is common with all of the hydro assist setups I have seen. I almost rolled my truck because I couldnt correct the wheel when I was drifting a corner. A modified box minimizes the lag/wall but I have yet to see a way to get the steering as quick as before any hydro power. This includes full hydro.

My setups have all been with a t/c style saginaw pump.

#6 · (Edited)
It's just the nature of the beast.

You want to look at all the ways that you can possibly make the fluid move faster. Bigger hoses, bigger fittings.

It ain't about the pressure, it's the flow rate. If the fluid isn't moving fast enough, then the cylinder ain't filling fast enough.

Doug

#10 ·
I have a full PSC setup, their box, their high-flow pump, their lines, their external reservoir, the only thing I added was a cooler and I have a touch of lag when trying to turn the wheel fast also. I figured it's just the way the thing is suppose to act... I just learned to slow it down a hair but sometimes when first jumping into it I forget, no biggie...

#13 ·
Thanks Geo.
Sorry I missed you at the Gig.

Over at the sand hill bowl just off the DNR parking lot at St. Helen. There are many trails up the side of the hill. I like to start on one and navigate over to another one part way up. Several times I have gotten screwed up because the steering did`nt respond fast enough. Ended up hitting the berm or even having to shut down completely. Sure the locker was pushing but at the same time the steering wheel would not respond fast enough to change direction.
Though not totally sure (as things happened so fast) but this may have been a factor in the little episode at the Pig Gig. Hence a strong desire to figure a way to fix or at least make it better.

The after shot of a double endo and a roll.

Attachments

#18 ·
I would guess one of the following:

1)borken/blown pump
2)blockage (kink or filter maybe???)
3)cavitation
4)overheating
5)box is too big (have bigger piston sized box, and should have the smaller for assist)
6)air in the system

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.