Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the engine is warmed up and you take the tranny out of gear it stays throttled up to about 1200-1300rpm for a few seconds and then idles down to norm. idle speed. I have check timing and a few other things per the ram jet tech manual and can't seem to figure out what is causing it to this. Any help or things to check would be great.

thanks,
byron

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
bigmog said:
After the engine is warmed up and you take the tranny out of gear it stays throttled up to about 1200-1300rpm for a few seconds and then idles down to norm. idle speed. I have check timing and a few other things per the ram jet tech manual and can't seem to figure out what is causing it to this. Any help or things to check would be great.

thanks,
byron
Did it just start doing this, or has it always been? Look to see if the TPS and IAC are adjusted correctly. If I had that motor I would contact Arizona Speed and Marine for their kit to covert to closed loop operation.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has always done this and it is a closed loop system from the factory. I think around early 2004 they started doing that.

thanks

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
bigmog said:
it has always done this and it is a closed loop system from the factory. I think around early 2004 they started doing that.

thanks
If what you say is correct, then it now runs an O2 sensor? I'm going to guess that it does this, because it doesn't use a vehicle speed sensor.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
MrWillys said:
If what you say is correct, then it now runs an O2 sensor? I'm going to guess that it does this, because it doesn't use a vehicle speed sensor.
Ramjet's have been closed loop for a few years now (Delphi MEFI 4 controller).

They were MEFI 3 (open loop) before that.

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
I encountered a similar condition in my TPI motor about a month ago. I originally set my motor up using a VSS that produced 4,000 pulses per mile, and everything worked fine. Exhaust heat slagged my VSS, and the replacement unit I installed (moving it to the back of the speedometer instead of coming off the transfer case), although identical in appearance and in every other detail, was an 8,000 pulse per mile unit. This caused the idle to remain high for about five seconds after the vehicle came to a complete stop at intersections, etc. It wasn't until I learned that the pulse rate was different and changed the pulse rate on my chip that the idle returned to normal. Just something to think about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts