3,630 Posts
I love that truck.....

chris:cool2:

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks guys.

Installed the new LCAs last night. They are sweet. Still need ot do some work on the brackets. (will post pics soon). The front brackets were trashed, the alignment holes are totally wallowed out. I will get over to some body with a welder and get this taken care of.

Working with Don Thuren on diff contact issue. I may shift the axle slightly right and see if that cures it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
ramv said:
Thanks guys.

Installed the new LCAs last night. They are sweet. Still need ot do some work on the brackets. (will post pics soon). The front brackets were trashed, the alignment holes are totally wallowed out. I will get over to some body with a welder and get this taken care of.

Working with Don Thuren on diff contact issue. I may shift the axle slightly right and see if that cures it.
is a counter suck bolt head an option?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nice thread Aaron!, I have always been impressed by the ol dodge because you must spend 90%+ of the time on it wheeling, thats amazing! Most spend countless hours wrenching, but this thing holds togeher and manages to take you down and through trails you would never expect, then drive home. I know on UA it was funny, when we threw the doors on, we had full AC, great tunes, it was like taking a leisure drive, then when it was time to wheel, it was straight up, take the doors off and bag the shiat out of it. This in my head is the best TRUE dual purpose truck to date.

:)

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Thanks Phill.

Well I think I have the track bar issue solved. Last night in the dark I lengthen the track bar ~ 5/8" , and cut the bracket for some additional clearance. Took about two hours, and I still need to check my alignment (didn't want to pull the tarp off just for that).

When I compressed the suspension with ratchet straps, I can get well into the Timbrens with no metal to metal contact. I may get some softer timbrens after a test drive but now I can at least test them out :D

I highly recommend Craftsman 18V cordless tools. (Although I'm sure the 19.2V are great too). My flashlight lasted for the full two hours and the Sawzall made short work of cutting the bracket. Also the 3/8" drill does not ever stall out in low range. (it will break screwdriver bits) In high range I can drill 3/8" holes through mild steel in seconds.

Will post some pictures of the new control arms soon. Another positive is there appears to be lots of room for bigger tires, just need some of those.

Also new skidplate is in the garage, and might go on next weekend. :D Oh yeah planning on wheelin at least once this weekend. Which will be the fifth time in September... Make that the first time in October.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
Awesome build, and awesome thread to bring it all together!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks guys.

Also, this is far from complete.

Friday night I am planning on completing the LCA install.

Wheelin Sat/Sun (going to drive to the trails supposed ot be 80 F so no doors is fun)

Next weekend install new skidplates and cross members and *maybe* do the fuel tank relocation.

Tires and wheels are a possibilty at any time.

Next major project will be body work, maybe over the winter. Stay Tuned. :D

Oh yeah, Moab in November, and still need to do an Indy trip this year. Plus would like to get back to Carnage Gulch for another run. Oh and Billings Canyon. Awesome trail

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,940 Posts
Nice work on the new lower control arms, very beefy! :smokin: What size Evolution joints and tube did you use Looks like 2" DOM and 1" joints? I'm surprised the the old ones lasted as long as they have they way you trash that truck.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

Why is it that people think it this is safe ? U seem like you know your shit so im asumming this is temp til u get the proper seats ?? I hope.

I like the looks of the new 1 ton dodge wheels Havnt seen those on many trail rigs.. Looks good

Nice build up truck looks good !

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
guidolyons said:
Nice work on the new lower control arms, very beefy! :smokin: What size Evolution joints and tube did you use Looks like 2" DOM and 1" joints? I'm surprised the the old ones lasted as long as they have they way you trash that truck.
Yep, 1" x 5/8" joints. The old ones were okay, they were custom too. Stock and Skyjacker junk lasted for no wheelin.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Mud Slayer 2.0 said:

Why is it that people think it this is safe ? U seem like you know your shit so im asumming this is temp til u get the proper seats ?? I hope.

[!
Explain further? I mounted the shoulder belts 4"s below my shoulder, as recommened by PBB. They Y together, so if properly cinched they should restrain well. The do not contact the seat when an adult is sitting there.

The lab belt is mounted to the sub frame of the cab.

Now, the seats themselves don't have cutouts but its more similar to the Mastercrafts with the loops the hold the belts.

It really is a moot point though, as I generally wear the oem belts with the lab harness over top. So far it has been a good comprimise but I haven't doen any multiple roll overs.

Yes the seats are temporary. I would say everything is. Esepcially if I could find someone who wanted a set of perfect '01 Ram seats. Never have seen the light of day. (always have had seat covers).

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

Drove up to Bill Moore Lake on Sunday and did some wheelin. 130 miles road too, a bit chilly in the mountains.

New control arms transmit a little more vibration, but I feel like the truck is more stable on road.

Off-road. WOW! We did all of the trip out of the lake in 2hi. Foot to the floor up some of the climbs. The Timbrens combined with the front suspension not wallowing all of the place made it pleasant to bounce off rocks and berms. The hydro assist kind of sucks for it though. Countersteering is tough to keep up with.

Also replaced the rear cross member:

Stock was stamped steel. We replaced it in '03 with the channel one. However after bashing into rocks, we found mounted to the bottom of the frame rails was a bad idea, as it bent the channel and the frame rails.

The new one mounts to the outside of the frame is welded the full perimiter of the tube:

It is bolted with 4 3/8" bolts per side (instead of the two before).

I am also replacing the 1/8" aluminum/stamped steel skidplate with a 3/16" steel plate. The new crossmember is lighter, the new skid is heavier, weight change is likely to be nil.

New skidplate is going to be 2' wide (vs 1 1/2" on the old one) so that should make the belly a little flatter.

Also re-inforced the lower control arm mounts (blue part). Hopefully they will survive.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Took the fuel tank out last night.

The straps were messed up so the :hack: came out. :D (Gawd I love my cordless sawzall)

The "space age" skid plate was broken in 3 pieces and only one bracket was holding it on:

FOr now the tank is in the back.

I have to run the new fuel line and wires, and do somthing with the filler, but between the cops nosing around last night and the darkness, I decided to call it quits.

Hope to get it running again Friday.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well, I put the 5.9l 23 gallon Grand Cherokee tank and pump in.

Ran some fuel line and wiring, fired up first try and fuel gauge works!

On the agenda tommorrow will be to get the tank mounted properly, and cover it in aluminum. We also still have room for the spare tire behind it.

Also need to get the new skid plate on, but its nice knowing I won't ever get hung up on the tank again. :D

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Put some diamond plate on today (and finished up the skid plates).

I didn't have enough to cover the back, but I'll get it tommorrow.

I'll also probably lower the filler line and move it in closer

The other cool thing wiht this build (i think) is that I never leave it sitting disabled. Today I ran for parts in it while working on it. The axle swap was the only downtime on the whole rig, and it was only because I was waiting on 4 different people to try to get me rear brakes and Great Lakes was the first to come through over a week and half after I ordered parts.

(No one lese ever did. The j/y never found the drum brakes they promised, TSM never returned a phone call or email. I refuse to deal with local people anymore. I get better service thousands of miles away)

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Nickm said:
what size fuel line did you run? did you use the stock type connections?

NM

Nope. I wasn't that impressed with the stock ones anyway. I just used 3/8" fuel injection fuel line and hose clamps. I barbed the hardline, and just slid it over the barb on the tank. I think 5/16" may actually have been the ticket, but this works good so far.

Took it out for a spin today, no leaks:D

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
ramv said:
Explain further? I mounted the shoulder belts 4"s below my shoulder, as recommened by PBB. They Y together, so if properly cinched they should restrain well. The do not contact the seat when an adult is sitting there.
I didnt know they didnt contact the seat when ure in it.. My bad, but my case in point is i see soo many people using these belts in situations not proberly set up for them and they can cause more harm then god in those cases.. You just gota make sure the Shoulder straps are at the correct angle when u latched in.. The cut outs in the other seats are there to keep the straps lined up. without that they can slide apart and u'll slip through... Im used to using these belts in an acutal racing enviroment where their tolerances are a little more important though. But for your sake i look into a sternum strap for your harness's

21 - 40 of 382 Posts