Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll bet that this has been discusse before but I didn't find any information on the subject.

Can Rancho RS9000's be mounted up-side-down without ill consequences?

Also, I was searching around and I noticed that Rancho has introduced a new long travel shock. Its 36" extended and 21.13" collapsed, 14.87" of travel (RS9036).

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
my friend mounted 5000's upside down and they blew out within a couple months. Rancho replaced them for free

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
5000's are not intended for upside down use so I would imagine 9000's are the same although I do not have personal experiance with them

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
Toyofast said:
What are the added benifits for running shocks can up vs. can down??
If the can is next to a leaf spring or some other component, it could rub and bind when articulating. I know the Taco guys have run em upside down because of this.

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
Toyofast said:
What are the added benifits for running shocks can up vs. can down??
reduced unsprung weight, but I don't see that as a reason when crawling. Rusted's explanation is more valid!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Unsprung weight? What, 3lbs if that? Just seems funny to go can up when the manufacture suggest/recomends can down operation. I can see running RS9000's can up, easier to adjust.

Can you take a shock that's been ran can down for awhile and then go can up with it WITHOUT causing problems with the valving, air bubbles, etc??

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
Toyofast said:
Unsprung weight? What, 3lbs if that?
You asked for a reason. I suggested one. I also discredited the suggestion in the same post.

3 pounds? Haven't changed a shock in while, have you? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Yep, re-did my rear suspension setup today and I have two RS5000's sitting on the garage floor right now, not the longest travel 5000's but fairly long.... okay maybe not 3lbs probably closer to 4.5-5lbs. :D

I was just wondering since this thread popped up.

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
I've got a pair of 9012's that are gravity magnets. Or maybe my reference is all thrown off as I don't handle mass like that on a nightly basis...:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I used to run my es3000's upside down (similar shock, both made by tennico automotive).. i really could not tell I had shocks on my truck. Flipped them and i felt like i was in a new truck.. even now with no rear shocks, it is more stable than before.. but then, i dont have my body lift anymore either...

Garrett

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Been runnin them can up since 96, no probs. Did it that way so the adjusters werent down low where they could get hit somehow, and they are easier to adjust.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Toyofast said:

Can you take a shock that's been ran can down for awhile and then go can up with it WITHOUT causing problems with the valving, air bubbles, etc??
This is what I heard before...

but a quick visit to the website and...

1. Can I mount the RS9000 upside down?

The RS9000 are designed to operate in either direction. In most applications the position of the shock is determined by the vehicles mounting configurations. Rancho does not recommend nor warrant the use of shocks that are not specifically listed for your vehicle in the Rancho catalog.

(Says the same thing for the 5000)

Might have to change the fronts now.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
the valving doe snot work properly on a 9000 when the body it up. You will have a small say 1/4" portion of travel that will feel un valved. It will not damage the shock, but the truck will ride better. Although it is not a huge change. Almoat 90% of all shocks are meant to be run with the body down. Keep in mind that the valving is set different for compression and decompression. This means you change your valving.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
If you take a look at a Rancho app guide you will see there is one app that they recommend running can up. I believe it is for the front of a certain year S-10.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Puffdragon said:
the valving doe snot work properly on a 9000 when the body it up. You will have a small say 1/4" portion of travel that will feel un valved. It will not damage the shock, but the truck will ride better. Although it is not a huge change. Almoat 90% of all shocks are meant to be run with the body down. Keep in mind that the valving is set different for compression and decompression. This means you change your valving.
Then why did mine come with the steering stabilizer mounts?

To me that means it must be 50/50 or it would be a marginally effective steering stabilizer.

·
Registered
14,447 Posts
Puffdragon said:
Whether they are can up or can down they get shorter on compression and longer on rebound. If rancho says its ok its probably ok. DMG

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Rancho does not say its OK. the general tech guys will say sure you can do it, but if you talk to any body at rancho who knows whats going on, they will tell you that you cannot run them upside down and get proper performance. If they have an application where the shock has to be mounted upside down, thats great!! i am sure they swaped the valving around, and made sure that oil would always be inside the selectable valve.

All i can say is call a rancho tech. Not customer service.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
I have 9012's on the front running can up and they don't work well at all over the first inch of travel or so and when I drive on the freeway I get a lot of front end wash. I am going to flip them over next weekend and see if it helps, but I might have a clearance problem with the spring at full droop

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Any shock can be ran can side up if the shock has a foam cell with enough volume to displace the area equal to the shock shaft or if the shock has a bag or air bladder cell like the Rancho RS shocks all have.

The answer is yes you can run all RS shocks can side up without sucking air past the valve because the shocks are completely filled with oil and displace shaft area with the bladder bag.

Many shocks built by Tenneco do not use the bag or only use the foam cell to keep the shock's compression tube from moving inside the outter body. These shocks are not completely filled with oil and can suck air past the valve if turned can side up.

Hope this helps.

tony k

1 - 20 of 36 Posts