Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm considering either the Rancho RS9000 or Bilstein 5125 (255/70 valve) shocks. Is the Bilsteins as firm as the RS9000 (setting at 5)? I am looking for firm shocks to help control the body roll of the truck on the road but yet good for rock crawling. Thanks in advance.

/td

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
i would recomend the 9ks

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
Get the Bilstein 5150s. I can't believe someone would try to say Ranchos are superior. Rancho = hype, made by Monroe, twin tube design. Bilstein = monotube, proven design, etc.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Old Scout said:
I replaced my RS9012s with 5100s and it sucks. The bilstiens do not have enough damping.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158942
I replaced the 9012s with 5100s and it was a big improvement in performance.
The Bilstiens controlled wheel hop much better, and even improved body roll somewhat.
Ranchos have almost no dampening affect at all on hard charging climbs, they are very slow to react and begin packing up after a second or two on the throttle.
I would take Bilstiens over Ranchos for off road performance anytime, anywhere.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
H8monday said:
I replaced the 9012s with 5100s and it was a big improvement in performance.
The Bilstiens controlled wheel hop much better, and even improved body roll somewhat.
Ranchos have almost no dampening affect at all on hard charging climbs, they are very slow to react and begin packing up after a second or two on the throttle.
I would take Bilstiens over Ranchos for off road performance anytime, anywhere.
Same here. Theer is no way the 5100's mentioned above were the 270/70 dampening. That is the key. R9000's on 5 have about 1/2 the dampening my 5100's have.

I LOVE the way the Bilsteins work and how they virtually eliminated the wheel hop I used to have when I had leafs in the rear.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wngrog said:
Same here. Theer is no way the 5100's mentioned above were the 270/70 dampening. That is the key. R9000's on 5 have about 1/2 the dampening my 5100's have.

I LOVE the way the Bilsteins work and how they virtually eliminated the wheel hop I used to have when I had leafs in the rear.
That's what I'm trying to clear up, for those with bad experiences the Bilstein 5100s do you still remember what what valving were you running?

/td

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Bilstein's. Enough said. Seems to me is that the problem lies with a vehicle that was way too heavy for the valving.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
wngrog said:

There is no choice on valving untill the 6100's! :shaking: MY DD is all coil and 3 link in the rear.

See my post and Tj's reply in this thread: #3 & 4
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183609

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Rerard said:
Oh I guess my ranger is too heavy for the steins then
You should change that to say that your Ranger is too heavy for the valving that comes in the 5100's. If you get 6100's or 7100's you can get the valving to match the truck.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Old Scout said:
There is no choice on valving untill the 6100's! :shaking: MY DD is all coil and 3 link in the rear.

See my post and Tj's reply in this thread: #3 & 4
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183609

That is not true. 5100's are valved at the factory for the application. Sounds like to me you got a set with the right mounting ends/hardware but are actually made for a diffrent application. Get the part number off what you have- call Bilstein and talk to shane and tell him what you have and what your application is. I would bet he will give you a diffrent part number for your application.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,750 Posts
The question you asked is similar to asking which is better, Pizza or steak.

It all depends on the vehicle and what you want it to do. The 255/70 valve code is not magic. It works in certain applications, but not all. The RS9000 will give you the ability to compensate for a setup that doesn't work with a 255/70 shock.

It would help a lot if you describe your setup. The Bilsteins work well in light vehicles with light spring rate leafs or a heavy truck with a more aggressive spring rate (leafs). That is to say vehicles that do not require much in the way of compression damping but do need significant rebound for when the vehicle gets into the spring.. I prefer additional compression in a coil suspension with the reduced friction and linear spring rate.

On custom setup (particularly one that is not well sorted) the RS9k can be a lifesaver because of its adjustability.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Beat95YJ said:
It would help a lot if you describe your setup. The Bilsteins work well in light vehicles with light spring rate leafs or a heavy truck with a more aggressive spring rate (leafs). .
I have a spring-over-axle Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40, the truck is heavy with a hard top, heavy original I6 engine, full-roll-cage, the leaf spring packs are flat stock but pretty flexy.

Decided on the Biltstein but every time I mentioned to bunch of cruiserheads many of them told me not to because the damping is not there, so I just want to confirm this with a wider audience. The truck will be a daily driver during the summer so I really need to controll that body roll of a tall truck.

/td

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
td said:
I have a spring-over-axle Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40, the truck is heavy with a hard top, heavy original I6 engine, full-roll-cage, the leaf spring packs are flat stock but pretty flexy.

Decided on the Biltstein but every time I mentioned to bunch of cruiserheads many of them told me not to because the damping is not there, so I just want to confirm this with a wider audience. The truck will be a daily driver during the summer so I really need to controll that body roll of a tall truck.

/td

Call Bilstein direct talk with Shane or Ryan and tell them the application and any extra weight and get the correct part number from them! Too many places stock a Bilstein that fits (ends/hardware) several applications and they sell the same shock for all of them. Get the right Bilstein for the right application! They make a 5100 for things as heavy as a motorhome and the ride is night and day! I do not have them on my motorhome that I have now but I did on my last one and you can bet I will when time and money permits.

Even with out buying the shocks...call them and get the correct part number and compare it with the part number of the people (cruiserheads) that you talk of.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts