Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Randy's R&P doesn't recommend the use of a Tru trac in my 9 inch ford rear. Why would this be? He also said that it wasn't a great idea with large tires. When asked what large was, the reply was 33" or larger. :confused:

They did tell me that it was o.k. for a front axle application, but that tire size would still apply.

Anybody got input or facts about the Tru trac?

I opted for the posi-trac unit to replace my 5 tab clutch plates....as there was no longer a repair set for it.
The only rebuild clutches for the Ford trac-lok are the 4 tab ring variety.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The owners manual from Trac-Tech states the 33" max. Randy is probably covering his butt or trying to upgrade you to a full locker. I ran one in my 8.8 with 33's, worked fine till I wanted to do bigger stuff. It was a PITA to lock up with the brakes sometimes and it would slip out if you had to stop for any reason. It did make me wish I had a full locker, so that is what prompted the next phase. If you are into real hardcore stuff get a full locker, you never hear someone say "wish I'd gotten that limited slip!"
:)

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Its ture, anything over a 33 inch tire and that tru trac will act like an open diff, some people can get them to work with 35's, but not many

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know Why

The reason for that
I had a LockRite thats about the same thing
the ford 9" set up has only one pair of gears, and this is alot weaker then lthe front (dana44) which has a Two pairs,, the pins snap, I snaped mine coming off an off ramp, not even 4x4ing, I removed it , got replacemnts. and the same thing happen,, I called the Main company , they told me they had some new pins, that were a lot stonger,, nope snaped on the pavement , normal driving,,, I have 35's, on my truck,, the tech told me( off the record) these thing suck in ford 9"s never will work with anything over 31's ,, told me to buy detroit lockers,, bought them and never had problems with them

:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts