Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone runnin em yet? Feedback so far? Anyone broken one? Anyone comp testing them?

Yea I read the other threads, figured out international economics, discussed the origin of the U-joint, and alot of pissing and moaning.

So whats the scoop? They've been on the market for a while now, how are they holding up?

Any current info on when they'll be available for 60's?

They theories in the other threads are beaten like a dead horse, its time for some real world results.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
i've gpt 4 trips on mine now. Buggy with 44 front jeep I6/999/300 4:1. about 2oo horses. 37 Krawlers about 3200lbs. Put them in a nrew set of yukon shafts. went together really well, although a very tight fit in the shafts. Kinda fiddly to install, and the caps wanted to strip when i screwed the zerk fittings in. Hard as hell to get them to accept grease. Opinions...Seem to be great. Very well made. I've beaten them pretty hard with no signs of wear. Are they a CTM? No. But at half the price they were a great middle ground between the spicer and the CTM. Rumor has it they will offer a 60 joint in the near future. I can also get a good price on em. dave

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
KC_JoNeS has a set. Maybe he'll chime in.

From what I gathered from him, they were very difficult to grease, but once it was done he was confident he will not have any problems whatsoever in the future in terms of strength in the U-joint. They look beefy too.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
IMO, they were a pain in the ass! But, they are simply beefy......and a pretty cool design.

Also, the supplied grease gun that comes with the kit is a piece of shit. Mine didnt work worth spit.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
35xj said:
Kinda fiddly to install, and the caps wanted to strip when i screwed the zerk fittings in. I can also get a good price on em. dave
The caps were softer than the zerks so they stripped instead of the fittings? :eek:

Sounds like you have a connection on price, wanna share when the 60's come out?

So far both responses say greasing is an issue, does the special grease come in a tube that readily fits in other guns? Would using a normal zerk instead of the needle zerk for greasing and then swapping afterwards work? Sure its another step, but how often do they need to be greased anyway with the resivoir in there?

Anyone else runnin them?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
kwrangln said:
Would using a normal zerk instead of the needle zerk for greasing and then swapping afterwards work? Sure its another step, but how often do they need to be greased anyway with the resivoir in there?

Anyone else runnin them?

Thanks all.
The problem is the design internally. There is a hole drilled into each section of the cross that houses a spring and plunger that gets compressed by the grease to a pressure of about 300 psi. The grease gun should be capable of 1000 psi so it is easy to blow out the zirk....what I mean by that....I had grease shoot out from the threaded area of the cap at the zirk from too much pressure....the reason being, I used a standard grease gun to grease them, and applied way too much pressure. WHATEVER! They are greased now.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I have a few runs on them and am very happy so far. I had no problem greesing i just took my time. The greese gun is a POS but it works for right now. The greese is interesting some type of metalic stuff. THe center sections are so large that that I had to extend my turn stops to keep the u-jont from binding with the shaft I guess that is a good thing and a bad thing. Very happy with customer serivce, price and product thus far

·
Registered
809 Posts
I installed some in a set of Moser Max 44 shafts. Something I noticed is that the springs wanted to shoot the plunger out when I was putting the caps on. I lost one in an "incident", and called Randy's for a replacement. I was happy that it was only $1, but very unhappy when I got my bill and they charged me $30 to ship it to me.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
BlueJeep said:
I installed some in a set of Moser Max 44 shafts. Something I noticed is that the springs wanted to shoot the plunger out when I was putting the caps on. I lost one in an "incident", and called Randy's for a replacement. I was happy that it was only $1, but very unhappy when I got my bill and they charged me $30 to ship it to me.
apparently, you didnt learn "THE TRICK" :flipoff2:

the way to do it, is use some silicone and basically glue the plunger into the spring, but be careful not to use too much. This will hold the plunger in the spring as you hammer the cap in.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I tried using their "Super Grease" to hold the plunger to the spring. It really didn't work for me.... Didn't think of silicone.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Super Joints

I have one trip to Moab, 1 trip to Rubicon and several smaller trips to TSF. Over all I have just over 6,500 miles on them. The are on Dana 30 :shaking: but they are still tight and the shafts are always turning. No breakage other than a stock Dana 30 carrier. I grease them once a month on my daily driver.

I would buy them again.

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
BlueJeep said:
I was happy that it was only $1, but very unhappy when I got my bill and they charged me $30 to ship it to me.
Randy's is ALWAYS like that. :mad3:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've got 2 WERock, 2 NEUROC and a couple local events on mine running 35" Krawlers & steel beadlocks on a 3700lb. Jeep in the Mod Stock class. I insalled mine with the 4340 Yukon inner and outer shafts and had the same problem with the piston poping out when I tried to hammer the caps on. I used a press the second time and had no problems.

I am very pleased with the joints and have been very hard on them. I have had them bound up hard and worried about pushing thru but they held up great. I have also done some woods racing where I was bouncing over the rocks at full throttle and would surely have shattered a stock ujoint but I did not even worry about these things taking the abuse.

Competing is much more fun when you don't have to worry about keeping the front shafts together. (knocking on wood) :D

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I had one of the first sets of these joints from Randy's. Ran them for well over a year in my jeep with 37" krawlers. Mostly out at JV. Hammered them didn't have a single issue with the joints.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
CA_YJ said:
I had one of the first sets of these joints from Randy's. Ran them for well over a year in my jeep with 37" krawlers. Mostly out at JV. Hammered them didn't have a single issue with the joints.
did you break any shafts, hubs or R&Ps? what kind?

·
Registered
490 Posts
i have them and yukon axles in my tj with 37's and have had no problems with 3 hard days at paragon and a couple local trips with full throttle waterfall climbing. they were a pain to put in and grease, but once they are in you should be good, nobody has reported breakage yet on this thread . oh yea, my tj with a 4.0 liter weighs 3550 :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts