Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever do a Range rover front axle on their toy. Found 3 BEEFY front axles (closed knuckle, so I guess birfield?) at the junk yard today and was seein if they were worth picking up......Found the rears too with discs brakes ......hmmmmmmmmmmm......Break one of them axles and I bet it would be a fortune to replace though.

And they are passenger drop too!

Any info or iput is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
JUNK a mechanic took a D90 (same axles as a range rover) and climbed some stumps and snapped a rear axle shaft. btw it was a stock d90 too

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I was 'examining':D one of those fronts on a friends Rover. I couldn't measure it correctly but it looked like about 58-59". Another thing I like is that the 'ball' ends on the axle housing come off! And yes there's a Birf in there.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
85TrailToy said:
I was 'examining':D one of those fronts on a friends Rover. I couldn't measure it correctly but it looked like about 58-59". Another thing I like is that the 'ball' ends on the axle housing come off! And yes there's a Birf in there.
I agree, They just bolt on to the tube flange with like 6 bolts. Looks rea easy to work on too. Mabe I'll go back tomorrow and see how much one is, just to tinker with.:)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Early range rovers run 10spline axles and will snap doing a Uturn with a welded locker.They also run a 10spline outer stub shaft from their CV unlike the toy one which is part of the CV.
The crown and pinion are very weak. We convert these range rover thirds to mini truck thirds over here in aus because they almost bolt straight in its just a mater of re-drilling the housing and getting custom axles made.

Generaly range rover axles wont handle any tyre bigger than a 33.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
you need an HP for the front, and a standard rear 8 but the toyota centers fit into the rangie housings, you need to move afew of the studs that hold the center in, but once in the housing can be shaved a heap, with 31's you will have the same clearance as toyota housing and 35's at the pumpkin,

NICK

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
RUFF said:
Early range rovers run 10spline axles and will snap doing a Uturn with a welded locker.

forgot to mention that, but why is it you always beat me to the punch line?

NICK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts