Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 286 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Yup... but that goes both ways. El Dorado County's recent resolution stings in some ways, but further solidifies the public's claim to continued access to Rubicon, building upon their previous actions reaffirming road status as a non-maintained public road in 1989, declaring the road public in 1887, surveying the road back in 1856. In 2006, Placer County made similar claim for the public, and that's the one single solitary thing that allows trail use during the winter, when the Forests close every other dirt road that they control.

County Supervisors do indeed have a lot of power -- and that can work for OHV or against OHV, which is why I worked so hard to make RTF politically active when I was president, and why Del Albright built County representation into RTF when he first roughed up the bylaws.

I'd rather be 'wheeling... but politics is NECESSARY, as well. Hell, I'd rather have a solitary experience on Rubicon... but increased population makes enforcement necessary, as well. Sometimes i mourn the politics/popularity fo the hobby, but better popularity can help politically, as well. Damn, it is WAY too early in the morning to be this contemplative! :eek:

Randii

hey old man, clear out ur PM box-- want to send you a message but its full... sheesh...

mb

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Man, how times have changed.:(
I’m going to the Rubicon to get away......yea, right. Not anymore.

There is too much big brother on the trail that is in the middle of the woods IMO.
What a waist of money and resources.

It is sad that society's rules are based on the actions of the dumbest few.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Are these guys coming and going daily, or do they actually set up and camp on the trail?
As I remember from presentation at the FOTR meeting last February, one big issue with LEO's in past years was lack of time on the actual trail. Check in at Placerville, drive to the trail, spend a little time and head back down to Placerville to clock out at the end of the day.

I believe at least two of the LEO's were suppsed to camp on the trail, and just as big, not be shackled by a fixed 9-5 work day. This alone allows for a larger LEO presence in further stretches of the trail and at potfentially more problematic times.

Some have cried about $ spent for LEO's on the trail while other cities, etc would be better served. Isn't the funding for this coming from fuel taxes or green sticker funds which is slated for ohv? Basically it's our (ohv) money. being funded in large part by ohv users.

It was also mentioned that if there are issues with individual officers then the higher up (don't know the contact off hand) wanted to hear about it. There is no shortage of ohv LEO's from other areas of the state that would love to work on the Rubicon.

·
Registered
852 Posts
So what was the joke.. Was he driving and did he have a BAC above .08?

Just trying to understand whay it was a joke?:)
He moved his truck 10ft to let someone get by. He was being cooperative and the ranger was being an asshole. He passed all of the test on an off camber slab but blew over a .08.

·
Registered
852 Posts
he went to grab a liquor bottle that i think but dont quote me on it was unopened from the ice chest and once it was in his hands ..

Thats false, never had anything in his hands..

just from everyone i talked to in the group of trucks they were handing out tickets like candy..
True

·
Registered
43 Posts
On my groups way out there were two sherrifs hiding behind a rock just waiting:mad3: I hit the trail to get away from them not to be afraid of the richards hiding behind rocks.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I remember WAY back in the day when we wheeled together it was non stop beer the whole trip for you guys.
Now that club was not crazy at all, but i am just upset because those days are gone. were you guys rowdy and drunk?? no, but would you of gotten a DUI. Yea..
And I remember what the trail was like before the explosion of traffic, when the box was still passable to a mild rig and the welcome sign was up in the trees.

Quite frankly, I wasn't terribly happy when the massive increase of people came through in the late 90's and early 2000's. Watching what happened to Spider and the box was hard to stomach, and it was obviously not sustainable.

So answer me this Stoney, have you ever stopped to think that not everyone who four wheels wants to trailer their rig to loon, wheel in for the day, get hammered, drive around on the box flipping their rig and have their junk and fluids fly out all over the place? Before the big rocks were added in there, it was a much different crowd that came through.

From my perspective, the four wheeling is a fun way to get to my favorite places to camp, to fish and to hike. To others its the only reason to be out there, to wheel and party. I can tell you that the LEO's are there for the second group of people that I mentioned, and more specifically those who want to do both at the same time.

Just keep this in mind when you feel down about things not being the way they used to be - Some of us have felt like that for 15 years already.

·
5,906 Posts
He moved his truck 10ft to let someone get by. He was being cooperative and the ranger was being an asshole. He passed all of the test on an off camber slab but blew over a .08.
Like I said before, know the law. It is easy to find on the intard net these days. you do not even have to drive, you just have to show intent to drive. Does not matter if you ever turn the ignition.

Was the guy an asshole because he was doing his job? Does it matter if it is on the Rubicon or in a bar parking lot? Shouldn't.

If you were at camp, where you were drinking, the rig should have been put in the correct place off the side of the trail. Before he had consumed enough to blow a high reading.

I suspect there is more to this story than what has been told. I am hearing one side of it and hope to hear the full story after the hearing before a judge.

Not trying to be argumentative, just sayin that maybe things are not as they seem.

I have gotten a speeding ticket and the cop was writing as he walked up to my window. He did not care what my story was. I had to live with that and just be unhappy to myself. :mad3: Ranting about it would have done nothing, I know the law. If he is writing, it is a done deal.

I'll give you a clue. This friend of yours should know the law when he goes before the judge. It may get him off the hook.

Scott

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
I am glad you asked..

I believe there is a place for the family man jeeper and the trailer queen on the trail. There are more than enough places to get away from the loud crowd.
For someone that drives there rig to the trail, why do you even want to camp near the box? Buck is quieter and more mellow. Even before soup on top of the hill is a nice campsite.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
5,906 Posts
Man, how times have changed.:(
I’m going to the Rubicon to get away......yea, right. Not anymore.

There is too much big brother on the trail that is in the middle of the woods IMO.
What a waist of money and resources.

It is sad that society's rules are based on the actions of the dumbest few.
Bear, I get your point. I get the point that the original poster, Stoneyxj made. I know you have been involved in this as long as I have or more since 2003. You must have seen the writing on the wall, in fact, I bet there are many posts by you saying just what you are now.

I know exactly where you like to go and why you will be upset when it changes. The Rubicon for me is not a place to go in the summer to get away from people. It is a place to go to get away from my day to day routine. It used to be a place for me to get away from people in the winter. I have lost that now too.

That said, I have not seen you up there in quite some time. Miss ya man.

scott

·
Registered
365 Posts
I am glad you asked..

I believe there is a place for the family man jeeper and the trailer queen on the trail. There are more than enough places to get away from the loud crowd.
For someone that drives there rig to the trail, why do you even want to camp near the box? Buck is quieter and more mellow. Even before soup on top of the hill is a nice campsite.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Once upon a time, Spider was a great place to camp.

The point I was making is that things have been changing for a long time before this. It's been a sad process to watch and participate in, that's all I'm getting at.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Once upon a time, Spider was a great place to camp.

The point I was making is that things have been changing for a long time before this. It's been a sad process to watch and participate in, that's all I'm getting at.
Understand! but last time I looked it still was a great place to camp. You just can't park where you camp.

The whole jest of the thread was users are seeing an increase in LEO's which = tickets as they do their job.

The whole point of this forum is too talk about ways to keep the trail open, solve trail problems, and get involved in the management of our public lands.

If you want to keep tabs on the LEO's buy a radio:homer:

·
Master Tinkerer
1,319 Posts
Someone please answer this:

The unsuspecting 4 wheeler parks his rig accidently off the 25ft centerline, either too close or too far? And now has set up camp, throws a few cold ones back and a LEO tells him to move his rig and the 4 wheeler refuses based on the fact that he has had a few. The guy gets a ticket, the rig stays where parked till morning and all is OK?

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I'd take a parking ticket over a DUI any day. No brainer. :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
3,719 Posts
Someone please answer this:

The unsuspecting 4 wheeler parks his rig accidently off the 25ft centerline, either too close or too far? And now has set up camp, throws a few cold ones back and a LEO tells him to move his rig and the 4 wheeler refuses based on the fact that he has had a few. The guy gets a ticket, the rig stays where parked till morning and all is OK?
Pick your poison. screwed if you do screwed if you dont. you unfortunately have to take the lesser of the two evils and hope you are sharp enough to catch yourself before you try and do the cordial thing. Unfortunately this is the case and way things will be until it cools off up there it wont be long until this comes to other local trails if people keep up the semantics on the F trail

Dusty

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been following this post and I just want to thank all the people who have worked so hard to keep the trail open.

I am new to offroading on trails like the con and am very grateful to the people who have worked so hard to keep it open. I hope that it never closes it is beautiful and so much fun.

What scares me is the real possiblity of being shut down by the actions of our own offroad community. I have seen the action in the box and I would bet that if local news agencies started playing that crap it would be all over for us. Hopefully we will all never be screwed out of it by own community of offroaders actions or lack of action.

I guess I think of 4 wheeling like golf...why party while you do it...its hard enough already.

·
4x4 Consultant
7,424 Posts
Bear, I get your point. I get the point that the original poster, Stoneyxj made. I know you have been involved in this as long as I have or more since 2003. You must have seen the writing on the wall, in fact, I bet there are many posts by you saying just what you are now.

I know exactly where you like to go and why you will be upset when it changes. The Rubicon for me is not a place to go in the summer to get away from people. It is a place to go to get away from my day to day routine. It used to be a place for me to get away from people in the winter. I have lost that now too.

That said, I have not seen you up there in quite some time. Miss ya man.

scott
You havent lost your winter wheeling.........:rolleyes:you go all the time Scott.

121 - 140 of 286 Posts