Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a front 60 off of an 87 f350 that im putting on my ranger. I want to use leafs for strength and reliability. Also the pumpkin is very close to the knuckles so it will be too hard to squeeze a radius arm and coil in there.

My truck is on a 66-77 bronco frame. I threw some 63 inch chevy's in the rear under the frame, kinda like white rhino.

My question is: what springs should i be running in the front to match the rear for ride height and decent flex? Also im running a 351w in this truck, so they have to be able to handle the weight of the v8.

I was thinking about running 52 inch chevy fronts off of a k5. Any thoughts? Pics to come soon.

·
Registered
923 Posts
the chevy springs wont work. chevy's are 2.5 wide fords are 3.0 wide. if you look to cage offroad for there weld on brackets. or you can cut some of the drivers side spring perch off and cram the cast c's in there. if you end up staying with leaves i would think you would have to get f150 or bronco rear leaves put them up front and mount them on the outside of the frame.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im planning on mounting everything outside the frame for sure, no problem there. If the chevy springs are out, I still have the springs that came on the f350, but they seem very flat and stiff. Any thoughts on using these? If bronco springs are what i need, any thoughts on a specific year? I would like to keep the overall length of the spring at about 52 inches for ease of instalation

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
again ride height is my main concern here, I dont want to make any cheesy drop brackets, this truck needs to be as low and level as possible

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I think bronco rear leafs are too big for what you are wanting. And definanatly dont use the 350 springs.

My shit with stock 1/2 ton rears upfront.

Those are 39.5's FYI

·
Atomic Test Lab Rat
3,694 Posts
the chevy springs wont work. chevy's are 2.5 wide fords are 3.0 wide. if you look to cage offroad for there weld on brackets. or you can cut some of the drivers side spring perch off and cram the cast c's in there. if you end up staying with leaves i would think you would have to get f150 or bronco rear leaves put them up front and mount them on the outside of the frame.
as long as he is making mounts on the frame it doesnt really matter what was on the axle before. He can always to some minor grinding to get the Ubolts to work if needed.

·
Master Apprentice
1,896 Posts
ya, school me on why the chevy springs wont work, I must be missing something obvious.

Im thinking if the new spring is smaller than the old perch, it will still center and be 1/4 big on both sides. Then just throw the plate on top and the U bolts. Worse case is your really picky just notch the old cast perch so the u bolts sit in against the spring.

·
Registered
923 Posts
he's talking about the front end of his truck.
What year ranger? I swapped 63" chev's in the back of my 98 and was able to use all the stock hardware, all I had to do was move the hanger.
on my 87 i used stock 76 f250 rear springs in the front. i also welded on new spring perches. i use 2x4x3/8 square stock and welded it under my frame in front of the radiator. then for the rear hanger i used factory ranger rear shackle mounts and welded them on the outside of the frame. used a chevy 1/2 beltech lowering shackle. for the front i use toyota rear leave spring relocation bracket welded to the square stock. i get plenty of flex and it didnt cost a damn thing.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
when i did my f150 to front leafs i used f150 rear springs with add-a-leaf and it ran smooth and flexed rather well, so id use f150 rear springs instead of chevy

·
Master Apprentice
1,896 Posts
EDIT: just noticed you said front... use rancho 44044's
cept he's running a 351

Im usin the stock 4.0 and the springs go wayy negative when I flex. They are almost flat at ride height. I would hate to see it with a 351 on top of it.

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
why dont you call up alcan and get some springs made to the spec of your rig. or take a bunch of leafs and make your own pack

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
when i did my f150 to front leafs i used f150 rear springs with add-a-leaf and it ran smooth and flexed rather well, so id use f150 rear springs instead of chevy
must sit mega fawking high. I have 13" of lift with the same springs and no AAL :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
that ranger is hugggggggeeeee

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
why dont you call up alcan and get some springs made to the spec of your rig. or take a bunch of leafs and make your own pack
Now this is a good idea. Do any of you know off the top of your heads what all measurments they need?

·
Registered
923 Posts
mine are 52. with 26" center.i would get 54's with a 26" center 3inches wide. at least for you app.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mine are 52. with 26" center.i would get 54's with a 26" center 3inches wide. at least for you app.
I talked to the guy from alcan springs and it looks like the 52 inches is about what im going to end up with. Im still a little nervous about making my frame mounts and everything before I even buy the springs but he said thats what Im going to have to do to make sure everything comes out correct

1 - 20 of 26 Posts