Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally settled on drivetrain components for our FJ60 V-8 swap.
SBC+Chevy bellhousing+Ranger O/D+LC 4speed/Tcase doubler (either Jerry's 203 or Marlin's) and the LC tcase.

Some have express concern that the Ranger is pretty noisy. Any thoughts on this or personal experience? Anyone broken one before? How about shifter options, can it be cable operated or run with some air or electric solenoid?

Thanks for the responses.

Billster

ps. Here is another shot of the backside of the SBC. Kudos to anyone that can name all the axle/suspension components in the background.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
TLC frnt , 9in behind the block and fox or bilsten shocks in the bucket ..... oh and a bunch of "i hate you" in frnt of the computer screen :D thats what i want to do BUT with a 6.2 if you get lower gears the marlin box is cheaper the 203 gears are like $1000 by them selves and i REALY like how pismo's looks ... as for the ranger the only one i been around had flowmasters and swampers so it wasn't loud...and he never blew it up either .. hope it helps

oh and POST LOTS OF PICS PLEASE :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Why not run an NV4500, 203 and a splitcase, or a 700r4, marlin case and a splitcase.

I HATED my ranger OD. It made the sm465 shift even worse than normal(extra rotating mass) and it was noisy! and cost more than an NV4500. yeah you get the gear splitter aspect, but I never used it, I would always just shift into OD once in fourth...

I would not use the AA crossmember on the rear of the t-case. That would be one VERY long suspended mass of gearboxes.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I drove a FJ62 that had been converted to 4 speed with one. It did whine a little bit but it was not painful but I didn't spend enough time in it to let it drive me nuts. It was subtle but noticable, sort of like DDing a FJ40 with a 3 speed case. If it were me I would do a 5 speed if I could, but if it's your best option it will do. Seems like H55Fs are coming down a little in price, you might be able to find a good used one?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I'm going to do the same swap for the most part, except I am not going to run a doubler (too much drivetrain slop with portal axles) and I concur... Why run a ranger if you're going to run a doubler? I am only running a ranger because the OD aspect (brings my final drive back to 4.35) and because I KNOW I can run a Cruiser PTO with the setup. The H42 has excellent gear spacing for me (I only use 2,3,and 4th on the street) and will give me back some of the drivedrain length a FJ55 needs.

What the sollution is- Someone needs to come up with an Over-straight-under drive that sits between the two Cruiser boxes. Best of ALL worlds!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I ran a Ranger in my 60 with a 350. I opted for the Underdrive. When engaged it does whine a bit. I think for this application it would be pretty much indestructable. They have a rating of something like 27,000 lbs. I think the overdrive was basically designed originally for 420s to have an overdrive. I never had a problem with my h42 or my h55f behind the Ranger. The overdrive is a bit steep for a gas motor. My friend has the overdrive in his 60 and with his gears and tires you basically hit 70mph before it is useful. You are going to probably have some slop in the drivetrain with that many components and your rear driveshaft will probably get short, SOA?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Buddy of mine had a SBC to ranger OD to OEM 4 spd in a 78 FJ 55. Worked very well. Dont remember that much noise. I dont think it is possible to break it... very heavy duty. The shifter came up on the ft right of the hump and sort of kicked out under the dash.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Oh I forgot about your shifter question. I think it could be run on using some type of switching mechanism. You might have some issues with heat though as your exhaust will be running pretty close to it at that point. The shifter that comes with it is a worthless piece of crap. I complained to AA about it. When I ordered the stuff it was supposed to be for an FJ60. All of their shifters are the same. It doesn't say that in their catalog. So for the 60 I ended up having to cut, weld, heat and bend to make it acceptable. I also lost the heater duct on the driver's side. That really wasn't that big of deal. I had thought about using a push button system with an actuator of some sort. I was a little concerned that if it malfunctioned that I wouldn't be able to get at it on the trail very easily and that if I used too strong of one it might crack the aluminum housing.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What gears and tires is your buddy running in his truck?

Billster

ginericfj80 said:
I ran a Ranger in my 60 with a 350. I opted for the Underdrive. When engaged it does whine a bit. I think for this application it would be pretty much indestructable. They have a rating of something like 27,000 lbs. I think the overdrive was basically designed originally for 420s to have an overdrive. I never had a problem with my h42 or my h55f behind the Ranger. The overdrive is a bit steep for a gas motor. My friend has the overdrive in his 60 and with his gears and tires you basically hit 70mph before it is useful. You are going to probably have some slop in the drivetrain with that many components and your rear driveshaft will probably get short, SOA?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
ginericfj80 said:
....your rear driveshaft will probably get short, SOA?
i thought the one of the points of a ranger was that it moved the motor forward and let you keep the trans in the stock place ??

cause the rock box and a SOA works ok ... see Pismo's 60 :confused:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
My friend ran BFG 33 MTs with the 3.70 gears and the overdrive. So he already had a bit of an overdrive with the 33s. If you are keeping stock gears and going with big tires you might find that you really don't need an overdrive because the tires will compensate. And for off road, the doubler would more than make up for any ring and pinion swap you may want to do.

Yes it is true that running the Ranger does shove the engine forward. In my opinion it shoves it too far forward. I wasn't able to use a clutch fan with mine because I didn't have the clearance on the radiator side. Optimum would be to move the tranny crossmember back about 2" shifting the motor and trannies back. This would help the Ranger shifter but it also moves the tranny shifter, but that can easily be heated and bent forward slightly. Of course this means new driveshafts which takes away one of the advantanges of the Ranger.

I think without being SOA with adding a doubler your rear driveshaft would get sort of short. Maybe short isn't the correct term? It would be pretty steep. This could create some issues. If you were SOA you could change the perches to help deal with the steepness of the driveline. I don't have one in front of me, so I'm having a hard time visualizing the doubler and the crossmembers and the front shaft. Where does one typically put the crossmember with a doubler? The Ranger doesn't weigh much (less than 80lbs) but the added length would help leverage things underneath. You are looking at a fairly long unit.

I know that a lot of folks hate autos, but I think a 700r4 with a doubler and a split case would be the hot ticket, as you would get all the gears you need. Tornadoalleycruiser (Erik C.) just did this combo in his 62 behind a V8. You would have the added expense of the auto but that would easily balance out your cost of the Ranger. You could get away with only one adapter. 700r4 to 203 from a Turbo 350 to Jerry's rear adapter to the split case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts