Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the situation....

I am converting my ranger from an automatic to a manual transmission. I will be placing a Mazda M5OD-R1 transmission in due to lack of funds and ease of installation.

Here's the question....

Do I have to get the transmission from a Ranger or Explorer that had a 4.0 OHV? Does it matter if the vehicle is 2WD or 4WD? Will any M5OD-R1 from a Ranger or Explorer bolt up to my 4.0 (i.e.: one from a 2.3 or 3.0, 2WD or 4WD)?

This question is probably noob, but I really need an answer!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
The M5OD is used in ALL Rangers from '93 on, and in many as far back as '88 (also V6 Explorers).

That does NOT mean the bellhousings are the same for all engines.

2.8, 2.9 & 4.0 have the same bell. The Mazda bell is not removable/swappable.

You cannot put a T-case on a 2WD trans without swapping the tailshaft & extension housing.
The gear ratios in any non-4.0L M5OD are slightly more preferable for wheeling rigs though (gear sets can be swapped between all M5OD-R1s).

BTW, many (most?) 2.9L 2WDs '88-'92 had the M5OD also.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In response to el ranger loco...

After reading wilbur's post again, I realize I made a mistake in interpreting what he meant... the wording confused me.... I thought he meant to say that the M5OD did not come on 91+ Rangers... honest mistake considering he said 4.0, 2.8, and 2.9 in the same sentence followed by:

but the m50d wasnt availabe with those motors.
I was just mearly stating that TRS said the transmission came on 91+ rangers... I was not contesting him whatsoever...

Now that I'm done ranting...

2.8, 2.9 & 4.0 have the same bell. The Mazda bell is not removable/swappable.
So this basically means that I need to find one from a 4.0 (preferably 4x4) correct?

N

·
0 Posts
Yep...that's exactly what it means...

But I have 2 questions.....

-1) what year
-2) What motor

.....is your truck?

And FWIW, I can help you build your tranny....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Oh, almost forgot lol... my truck is a 97 4X4 Ranger w/ a 4.0 OHV...

Might take you up eventually on the tranny help... birmingham aint that far away...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts