Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some options for transmissions that will go behind my 2.3? Or what other t cases could I adapt to my current Toyo Koygo 5sp? I'd really like to get a NP231, Dana 300 or Yota behind it but I don't know if it would be possible. I'm looking for something more on the budget side of things. If I'm going to spend a ton I'd rather have an Atlas for the same price.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You could ditch the 2.3 and put a 22r or re in it...then a w56 and toyota cases. Then all you would need would be a toyota to run all that stuff in:laughing:. Toyota cases would be the way to go if you can adapt to them. If not then maybe just keep adding toyota stuff till you happy.

·
Atomic Test Lab Rat
3,693 Posts
with out some custom adapters and shafts your stuck with a 1350 or 1354. I would find a doubler kit for the extra low range, which is assuming why your asking right?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Is the 2.3 bell housing pattern the same as the 2.8-2.9?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, bellhouings are different and yes I'm looking for a better lowrange. I've had a few ideas go through my head.
1. use 2wd trans and a sammy case with 6.5 gears
2. switch to a C4 auto and then my options are wide open
I'd like to go to an auto but I'm having trouble finding the Pinto C4 bellhousing I need.
AFAIK that is the only one that will work to get a C4 behind the 2.3

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'll be using a 2.3 turbo in my next build with a C4 behind it.... yes the pinto trannies are hard to find but they came in other things too... or you could go out get a C4 from any sbf and use this.... http://www.stinger-performance.com/suspensionparts.html My bro has a 2.3/C4 bell housing but if I can't manage to get it off him when the time comes I'll be using one of those! And like you said once that C4 in it you can do almost anything! I'll be running dual yotas on yota diffs! My ranger now has stock motor trans and t-case with a yota t case adapter to make it divorced behind all that! It's LONG and I can't wait to upgrade!

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
You can try to locate the bell housing from a bw t4 out of a 4 cyl mustang 2. That BH will allow you to mate a jeep t5 and 300 up to it. or if yeah find a BH from a 6cyl mustang 2 t4....send it to me! cause those match up to the mighty 2.9

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be using a 2.3 turbo in my next build with a C4 behind it.... yes the pinto trannies are hard to find but they came in other things too... or you could go out get a C4 from any sbf and use this.... http://www.stinger-performance.com/suspensionparts.html My bro has a 2.3/C4 bell housing but if I can't manage to get it off him when the time comes I'll be using one of those! And like you said once that C4 in it you can do almost anything! I'll be running dual yotas on yota diffs! My ranger now has stock motor trans and t-case with a yota t case adapter to make it divorced behind all that! It's LONG and I can't wait to upgrade!
I think I'm just going to forget about the Pinto bellhousing and go with their adapter plate. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was my exact thoughts. I've searched all over for weeks for some kind of adapter for the 2.3 but I guess my Google skills just aren't up to par.

·
FoMoCo MoFo
4,580 Posts
Mustang 2.3 T5 bell on a jeep T5 hooked to a ???...

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
You could ditch the 2.3 and put a 22r or re in it....
theres a step in the way wrong direction...

Anyway, a C4 will suck every bit of life out of that poor 2.3. T5/300 would be the way to go if you want to get rid of the rbv tcase. Correct me if im wrong, but shouldnt the 2.3 have a Mazda tranny behind it, not the TK.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mines an 85 I'm 100% sure it's the TK. I was worried about the C4 sucking the life out of the 2.3. I think I may use the adapter listed earlier with a granny 4sp and a D20 case. I'm sill in the decision process so I'm wide open to all opinions.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Mines an 85 I'm 100% sure it's the TK. I was worried about the C4 sucking the life out of the 2.3. I think I may use the adapter listed earlier with a granny 4sp and a D20 case. I'm sill in the decision process so I'm wide open to all opinions.
Says in your sig "stock class racer". If thats any sort of short course or high speed stuff, then a granny 4 speed would probably suck cause they shift slow and have big gaps between gears.

In the junkyard i've seen a couple divorced D20 used under '70s ford courier 4x4 conversions. Kind of an oddball deal, but would open your options up to 2wd transmissions. I've thought about picking one up and doing a cheap divorced doubler behind my 1354.

You are 100% correct in worrying about the C4. I swapped a C4 behind my 2.9 and pulled it out after 2 months because it was such a dog.

·
Registered
736 Posts
That was no google search my friend! That was just a fav I saved when my bro and I used to be big into turbo 2.3 drag racing and they sell a lot of good stuff! I'll be running a turbo 2.3 on pane in my next setup which should "cure" the c4 sucking all the power out of it! You can find factory turbo 2.3 or do one up your self depending what your abilities are and what you're using it for! If you want a yota case divorced behind something you can use this too...

http://www.ottindustries.com/divorcetoyota.htm

I have one of those in my truck right now and it's much nicer in person then on the site... I really don't know why he doesn't put a new pic up..... I think inch worm or someone else sells his adapter too and to tell you the truth they are the same price, but he gives them top priority I think. Because it wasn't a great time dealing with him and trying to get the product and so forth.... my truck right now has a 2.9, stock 5 speed stock case (1350) and a toy case with that adapter behind that! long but it works... I should be done building it in the next couple weeks.... The adapter uses a rear wheel bearing inside so they are easily replaceable if needed and he'll machine what ever input flange you want on it if you order it from him! If you have any questions just pm me I'll be happy to help you with any 2.3 or toy stuff... my 2 favorite things so I got lots of info!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts