Registered
212 Posts
What trans & tcase are you using?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If you’re on instagram, you can find more pics of you search #turbotruggy

With the the length of my drivetrain, I’m looking at a 42” front driveshaft. It’s definitely longer than my links. I’m not sure if I should run a two piece or not.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just curious. Last time I looked for 2.3t 4wd trans all I found was the m5od or pinto c4.... that was 10 years ago. I'm excited to see how to his turns out. I built a 2wd 2.3T ranger and it's been sitting for a long time waiting to be repurposed, it got me in way too much trouble on the street.

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
Cool build man, definitely not the usual. A friend of mine had a 2.3 turbo Ranger when he was up in MI, but it wasn't making nearly the power you're thinking of. How well do you think that M5OD is going to hold? Most people think they're barely suitable for a 1/2 ton truck with a 300 I6.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Cool build man, definitely not the usual. A friend of mine had a 2.3 turbo Ranger when he was up in MI, but it wasn't making nearly the power you're thinking of. How well do you think that M5OD is going to hold? Most people think they're barely suitable for a 1/2 ton truck with a 300 I6.
This is the M5od-r1. It’s the little brother of the half ton trans. It should hold up alright, if I drive it right. It won’t handle clutch drops in high range or anything.

I had to swap the output shaft and use the NWF adapter to make it work.

Honestly, if I had to do it again, I’d get a 3.7 cyclone v6 with a 6r80 behind it. Too late for that now.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I actually decided to build this because of all the Toyota’s out there killing it with 22r’s and stock axles on 37’s. I think if I keep this pretty light, it will do pretty well. The turbo will spoil up quick but I won’t be building boost while working the clutch. I think that’s going to save drivetrain parts.

At the current projected height, I have a 21” belly with only a 70” roof. I’m really happy with 49” belly to roof distance. I’ll have 5” up, 11” droop up front.

With 18” ORI’s in the rear, I’m planning on 7” uptravel. I have a truhi9 for the rear axle.

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
Thinking machinery gray for the body panels
I had Ford Gray (close enough) on my bumpers and diff covers. I like it.

And I think your logic is sound. 2.3s are actually really damn tough for how old they are. Met a guy last year who used to drag race them in 3 different Pintos. Always cool in my book.

Will be interesting to see if anyone uses the one in the Mustang for future builds.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I have an 84 SVO and 88 tbird that are both 2.3 Turbo. I have a lot of spare parts.

Axles are the typical hp44/9” full width. 5.13’s truhi9 with spool in the rear and spartan in the front. I’m using everything that I’m replacing in my bronc, including the blackbox/d20 transfer case.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thinking machinery gray for the body panels
I had Ford Gray (close enough) on my bumpers and diff covers. I like it.

And I think your logic is sound. 2.3s are actually really damn tough for how old they are. Met a guy last year who used to drag race them in 3 different Pintos. Always cool in my book.

Will be interesting to see if anyone uses the one in the Mustang for future builds.
Sounds like Joe Laramie. He still has two pintos that run 8’s in the 1/4.

·
Premium Member
3,887 Posts
That’s a baller efr turbo. Should be pretty responsive on that.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
That?s a baller efr turbo. Should be pretty responsive on that.
I think it’s going to be fun. The cost of the EFR isn’t as bad if you consider you don’t need an external wastegate or BOV. The recirc on these is supposed to be great for getting back into boost after you pedal it.

A guy on the turboford forum bent his rods because he hit 20 psi at low RPM with this turbo.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts