Pirate 4x4 banner

181 - 200 of 371 Posts

·
P.B.A.
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Got more little stuff done front shackle mounts from Barnes 4x4 new ubolts for rear axle old ones were shot. And finally got around to front bump stops. They are rear bumps tops from a Nissan pathfinder. I've got 5.5" of up travel which should be enough for the dunes.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1376260285.037648.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1376260299.755824.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1376260309.334184.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
P.B.A.
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #182 (Edited)
Took the truck to the dunes first time in over 10 years. Pretty pleased with it ran front case in low and foot against the floor. I was cruising across the flats going over some rollers I got pretty brave then saw a bigger one I didn't have time to stop so I hammered down. My buddy was right next to me said there was 3-4' of air under the tires. I landed and promptly had mushy brakes. got it back to camp and had crushed a brake line between gas tank skid and diff cover. Didn't get too many pictures I was driving. Some of my pictures won't upload to my iPad.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1378689959.338603.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1378690016.969892.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1378690033.789989.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1378690046.338011.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1378690059.639614.jpg
That cj5 that I did some cage and bumpers on getting used finally.

·
P.B.A.
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #183 (Edited)
Also tranny was getting HOT!!!!! Got up to 250 a couple times not sure what that's about I've got the biggest cooler I can fit might be time for a bigger cooler under the bed with its own fan. Motor stayed pretty cool although it got up to 240 degrees once when I was turn 5k for a couple minutes straight.

And time for bumpstops in the rear.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1378690297.734386.jpg

·
P.B.A.
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Well I've been working on the truck bunch of little things tranny cooler wiring in the fan and wiring in rock lights. Also finished rear seat seat belts buttoned flat bed back together. Found out I don't have brake lights. Been driving it for a year a lady told me in a parking lot of the store my brake lights were out. Still working on that. Hopefully my tranny overheating issues are gone.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1385781255.584892.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1385781267.832884.jpg

·
Registered
333 Posts
When you built your cage does it terminate into plates that are bolted to the floor of the body and then have a mount on the bottom that goes into the frame or does it just go straight through your floor?

·
P.B.A.
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Plates that are bolted to floor grade 8 with big washers. Only in a desert rig or open top do I think it's necessary to go to the frame. The cj5 I built the cage for and the bronco a few pages back are both tie to the frame. A closed cab pretty tough for the cage to become seperate from the body. If you can get it to the frame it's better but for my purposes I don't think it's necessary.

By the way your off the reservation!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yeah I float on all the forums and the trs has seemed to be dying lately in the offroad builds. How did you full weld on the top of your cage? Did you use any tricks welding the top of the cage?

·
P.B.A.
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
If I see another offroad build where some flatbiller paints his taillights and puts a monster sticker on their truck I'm going to puke.

I built the back hoop and "x" on the floor then installed it up against the back window. Then bent a halo all the way around the cab up against the roof added all the x bracing. Then leaned this forward welded the top. Stood it back up and added the "a" and"b" pillars to the floor. Keep in mind I had no factory dash or windshield in it. That helped a lot especially welding the a pillar to the halo.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If I see another offroad build where some flatbiller paints his taillights and puts a monster sticker on their truck I'm going to puke
Amen

I'm going to have to try that trick with a dash installed and see how that works out. I am going to try and keep the stock dash.

Keep updates on your tranny cooling problems, I am worried now that I'm going to have the same troubles with my c4

·
P.B.A.
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Amen

I'm going to have to try that trick with a dash installed and see how that works out. I am going to try and keep the stock dash.

Keep updates on your tranny cooling problems, I am worried now that I'm going to have the same troubles with my c4
I think my biggest problem is my original cooler is behind my radiator so all it sees is warm air or hot air when I'm on it for a while. If you can get the cooler in front do it. Explorer front dress will open up options. I can't run explorer front dress on my motor because of my Toyota steering box would interfere with the pump. So yes it's been a pain. Also I'm heat wrapping the exhaust under the tranny to help keep it cool too.

I love your monster sticker bra!!!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
i went to a aod because i could not keep a c4 together. that and 3500 rpm long range cruising was getting ridiculous. the 2-400 mile daily grinds were too much.

of course it took a long time to make aod's last as well:laughing:

properly cleaned the gen 1 ac condensers are overkill coolers. i had mine under the bed because it ran too cool out front. in winter it overcooled even under the bed.

i had room out front with most swaps i worked with.

i just had a guy asking about the gap between my bed and cab, i always planned on extending my cab a bit more to allow forward facing seats and still have not done it....i often had to have the kids wear helmets when we went trail riding in any case.

·
P.B.A.
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Mines trailered so rpms aren't as big of an issue for me. But the overheating does have concerned. Hoping this cooler solves it just got my heat wrap so that should be done quickly. In the next few weeks it should be out again.

181 - 200 of 371 Posts