Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 371 Posts

·
P.B.A.
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well since I moved my axle forward about 4 inches from the original location my stock steering box wasnt going to cut it. It would end up in the radiator unless I dropped it down. So I decided to use a fj60 box with a trail queer ifs pitman arm reamed out to accept 1 ton chevy tie rod ends. I had to do quite a bit of surgery to the frame rail to get this done. Special thanks to mr. plasma cutter. And yes I know my welds suck but Im self taught cut me some slack:flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
You may want to run some sleeves through the frame where the steering box is mounted. Looks good real good though!

I'm guessing since you already bought rims you're going to run 6 lug front and 8 lug rear? It'd be real easy to convert the front to 8 lug. If you already have large bearing spindles all you'd need would be some Chevy D44 or 10 bolt 3/4 ton caliper brackets and hubs.

·
P.B.A.
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You may want to run some sleeves through the frame where the steering box is mounted. Looks good real good though!

I'm guessing since you already bought rims you're going to run 6 lug front and 8 lug rear? It'd be real easy to convert the front to 8 lug. If you already have large bearing spindles all you'd need would be some Chevy D44 or 10 bolt 3/4 ton caliper brackets and hubs.
I did sleeve the frame and I'll probably drill out the box to accept 1/2 bolts. The rear axle is 6 lug as well. It's a narrowed Dana 60 when the axle was cut down "rings" were installed in the axle tube. These rings have the same bolt pattern as a chevy front spindle so basically from there it's chevy outers. Dutchman made me some double splined axle shafts 35 spline inner 30 spline outers to go with the warn drive flanges I got off craigslist. Eventually the rearend and wheels will migrate to my jeep as I'm only running 37s on it. Then I'll pit a 60 in the front and a c&c 14 bolt out back 63" wide and buy some 8 lug beadlocks for this again. Ibknow I'm doing shit twice but I want this thing done and I'd have to buy this stuff for my cj eventually.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I did sleeve the frame and I'll probably drill out the box to accept 1/2 bolts. The rear axle is 6 lug as well. It's a narrowed Dana 60 when the axle was cut down "rings" were installed in the axle tube. These rings have the same bolt pattern as a chevy front spindle so basically from there it's chevy outers. Dutchman made me some double splined axle shafts 35 spline inner 30 spline outers to go with the warn drive flanges I got off craigslist. Eventually the rearend and wheels will migrate to my jeep as I'm only running 37s on it. Then I'll pit a 60 in the front and a c&c 14 bolt out back 63" wide and buy some 8 lug beadlocks for this again. I know I'm doing shit twice but I want this thing done and I'd have to buy this stuff for my cj eventually.
Haha, well, never mind then. Looks like I didn't look at the pics close enough.

·
P.B.A.
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well since I moved my steering box on the outside of the frame my trackbar just needed to get alot longer. So I drew up some templates out of card board and built a trackbar bracket that moved the mounting location over in front of the passenger coil spring.

Attachments

·
P.B.A.
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Also got to plug some vendors Ruff stuff for the heims for the track bar and swag offroad for radius tool for my plasma cutter sweet tool. Also got a tapered reamerfor 1 ton chevy tierod ends and a pitman arm for toyota to ream out. Still got to get my draglink tapped for tie rod ends. and that should button up the front axle.

Attachments

·
P.B.A.
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I got it sitting on its own weight brackets burned in I know the axle bracket is a little ugly but it isnt going to break. My next project is to get the tranny rebuilt in the next couple of weeks and transfercases installed again. Yes I know none of the bolts are tight with cotter pins.

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hey man lookin good. Hey I still have my bald 37's if you want to use them for mock up. I just can't look at that beautiful work sitting on 28" tires. Lol. Hit me up.

·
P.B.A.
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey man lookin good. Hey I still have my bald 37's if you want to use them for mock up. I just can't look at that beautiful work sitting on 28" tires. Lol. Hit me up.
I know its a little depressing having 2k spent on tires and no idea when Im going to recieve them but the 28s will still be on it to get it into the garage. But thanks for the offer Ill send you some pics of browns camp this weekend too, I dont have the fancy camera though.

·
nice roach.
5,740 Posts
Subscribed for the clean fab work and for ideas to finish my bed... looking forward to more updates... :smokin:

·
P.B.A.
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Subscribed for the clean fab work and for ideas to finish my bed... looking forward to more updates... :smokin:
Thanks I'm real happy with how the flatbed turned out I built it in my head 10 times before I ever bent a piece of tube though. I'm least happy with how the tranny tunnel turned out and after it's on the road I may redo it . The good thing about these forums is you learn how to skin a cat a 100 diffrent ways

·
nice roach.
5,740 Posts
You've really got me thinking about buying a set of dimple dies now... Where'd you get yours? What thickness steel can you dimple?

·
P.B.A.
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You've really got me thinking about buying a set of dimple dies now... Where'd you get yours? What thickness steel can you dimple?
Got mine here on this board from mosley machine. I don't know how thick they can do witha press pretty thick I would imagine. I've done 3/16 with my vise or a nit and bolt with an impact. I figured I would try them on my skid plate rather than doing 1/4 plate to save some weight we'll see if it gets screwed up I'll plate over it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
You probably know this but I just wanted to share some of my suspension building hard knocks I've learned along the way.

I was looking at your front suspension and your track bar and drag link angles seem a little steep. It's good that they stay paralell to each other but at those angle's you might get some bump steer while running down the road. If you were able to lower the ride hight some, or get them closer a to horizontal angle, this would help to eliminate any bump steer.

When I straight axled my s-10 Blazer I had similar angles. It was a little scary on the road (bump steer) and when at slow speeds and making a hard turn depending on witch way I was turning it would lift or lower the front end instead of wanting to turn. I finally cut all the brackets off and started over. It sucked but the end result was a much better and way less scary ride.

Hope this helps, Good luck. Wish I could make it to TSF on Sat.

·
P.B.A.
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I was wondering about that but I've been working on this thing off and on for 8 years so I'm going to run what I brung. If it sucks it's only high steer and a bracket change on the frame to fix. Or it will just push me to put a 60 in any ways. I'm sure there will be bugs to work out.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Rod....Luke heppin' ya'? Lets go break yer' junk:flipoff2:. One pic shows Lukes Heep w/weirdo "airplane" fenders. Lukes an excellent guy to have in your corner.:D

·
P.B.A.
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Rod....Luke heppin' ya'? Lets go break yer' junk:flipoff2:. One pic shows Lukes Heep w/weirdo "airplane" fenders. Lukes an excellent guy to have in your corner.:D
Hey Terry this is my other project besides my jeep. Plan on going to browns camp sat if you want to tag along you could always see what the rocks are all about. Unless the bronco can't handle it :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Hey Terry this is my other project besides my jeep. Plan on going to browns camp sat if you want to tag along you could always see what the rocks are all about. Unless the bronco can't handle it :flipoff2:
Coolio....I just picked up a 92' Ranger 2x2 w/leaking head gasket, rest of it is PRIMO:D.Seriously considering putting Ranger body on Big-B' frame/drivetrain.500 HP Ranger on tons any one?:eek:

We(my beautiful olive skinned wife Marci &I) would love to tackle TSF w/knowledgeable trail guys! You can then school me on why 85 HP is better than a bunch. I haven't been down there for like 3 decades since racin'/ridin' dirt bikes in the 80's.
You boys will have to get w/us for fun @RedNeck Proving grounds Top Secret location.

PM me your location & we'll come by to shoot the shiat.

·
P.B.A.
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Finally!!! Got 75% of my tires here. I just happened to call today and what do you know 4wheel parts had them. I believe they didnt call because they were using them for mock up on another project. So tomorrow my newly unemoployed ass will mount the 3 that I have. Pics show them next too old style 37 mts over 4 inches taller.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 371 Posts