Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend is having the standard problem with the power seat switches on his 89 Rangie classic going south.

So... Are there any US rangies with manual seats that would bolt in?

If not, does anyone have a good source of cheap new or used switches and/or control boxes? He tried cleaning all the contacts, but the seats are still intermittant and now one of the boxes is missing some internals due to "helpful" offspring.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
try some WD-40 . . . no kidding. fixed all of my issues with my passenger seat. after that, there is a mercedes switch that's interchangeable with the rover unit, but i'd have to download the RRO archive to dig up the p/n's (hint hint). JPurnell has a little writeup on cleaning them, which would also likely rectify the problems.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm going to take a look at the truck today, double check the relays and fuses, and see about cleaning the contacts. Unfortunately, the missing parts won't reappear with liberal application of WD40. :flipoff2:

I saw the writeups on the mercedes switches. That may be a good way to get new ones.

-john

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
campy headset bearings fit perfectly, and the springs are pretty easy to source. A GIANT pain in the ass though to take apart and put together.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lost some of those bearings yourself, huh? :flipoff2:
redrangie said:
campy headset bearings fit perfectly, and the springs are pretty easy to source. A GIANT pain in the ass though to take apart and put together.
I'll finally get to look at it this evening. Maybe a solution will present itself.

Did any of these things come from the factory to the US with manual seats?

thanks for the help,
-John

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
hunter's may have come with manual seats. not sure about great divide, but i would doubt it.

purnell talked about where he got the bearings. i would think there are a half dozen places around town to match them up.

>>Unfortunately, the missing parts won't reappear with liberal application of WD40.

Got me on that one :D

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This one is a Great Divide edition, so I'm pretty sure they come with power seats. Dunno about the Hunter editions. I haven't seen one in a few years. Anyone out there have one?

-John

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Hunter's Do come with Manual Seats. I remember a while back I was considering swapping my power seats for the manual's thinking I might gain headroom. Talked with a guy who owned a Hunter and he took some measurements off of his manual seats. Turns out I wouldn't have, thus I didn't.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lwg said:
Hunter's Do come with Manual Seats.
Cool! Do you know if they have the wiring already in them so we might trade the power seats to someone who wants to swap power for manual? When you were considering this swap, did you come up with anyone who had a pair of seats?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
13 Posts
junk yard

If you have a pull your own junk yard around that would be the place to try for controls it is supposed to be late 70's mercedes? Doing it that away you would be able to check yourself before you paid for it as well as getting them for 5- 15 $ lot of money saved as well as being easier than swapping seats..

Good Luck

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yup.. I'm going to look into the Mercedes junkyard too. I'm thinking the cheaper the better, but it would be nice to go manual seats. That's the permanent fix.

-John

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Rover Addiction said:
but it would be nice to go manual seats. That's the permanent fix.

-John
I agree with this statement. The more power junk I can get out of my Rangie the better. Unfortunately I never really did much more investigation about the swap. I would imagine that the power is there as it would be smarter to make all production vehicles nearly the same, but then again this is LR we're talking about.:confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
The seats in the Range Rover Classic and the Disco are very similar looking. my power cloth seats in my RRC are identical as far as i can tell to the leatehr power seats in my Disco that was 8 years newer.

having said that,

There are plenty of manual Disco seats around, even in leather in some cases. perhaps you can try locating those and do some slight modifications to fit the.

-rob

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The more power junk I can get out of my Rangie the better.
i have to disagree on this point - I see so many people try and convert rangies into something that they're not, and they aren't happy with the result. sound familiar? :flipoff2: why not just buy an old bronc, scout, or series LR and be done with it???

if it weren't for the amenities in the rangie i would have just kept my old diesel traveler. the rangie was a middle ground between something the wife would ride in, and that was still decent as a trail worthy rig. same day transitions from the jag to the scout were too much of a shock to the system.

martini anyone? just putting another log on the fire - snow day here in seattle. ;)

cheers,

isaac

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We're not trying to make the rangie what it's not. The seats rarely get moved anyway, so power is not mandatory.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
We're not trying to make the rangie what it's not. The seats rarely get moved anyway, so power is not mandatory.
. . . that's fair :flipoff2: what was that drivel i was spewing anyway . .. the rangie is your canvas - paint away :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
If I remember right, you need the opposite seat switch in the mercedes that you are trying to replace. If you need a pass. seat switch order a drivers switch for a mercedes. The mercedes switches are mounted on the doors, that's why they're backwards.

·
Registered
608 Posts
When you see it, Can you get pics of the switches / relays / layout you do have? I've just scrapped a '91 rangie which had power seats. Some bits missing (the memory positions stuff), and it was outside with a broken windscreeen for a while but you may be lucky....

Merv.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hunters do have manual seats

I have a 91 Hunter and the manual cloth seats are one of it's best features. There are even some small spacers that are about 5/8" tall that mount between the lower seat rail and the floorboard that could be removed to drop the seat by that much - of course that's uneccesary in a Hunter because most of them don't have sunroofs either (it was a $1500 option).

Some guys from LR of North America told me years ago that the 91 Hunters are the best Range Rover to have for off roading - no power seats, cloth interior, no sunroof, no front spoiler, no swaybars, no ABS but all of the advantages of the later electrical system and vented front brake rotors - they only built 405 so they are hard to find but they are great Rovers!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts