Pirate 4x4 banner

3041 - 3044 of 3044 Posts

·
Willys Fan
677 Posts
Making the move to position sensitive valving with the internal bypass seems like it will be another step up. I had accutune do the valving in the fox 2.0 resi shocks on my #lx45 project. That worked really well, but I do think that adding position sensitive valving could help make things feel more 'progressive' depending on axle position. Leaf springs have 'more' internal friction to get moving which seems like it might mess with the some of the valving. I think leaf springs need a lot less low speed valving to keep things moving. The internal bypass feature should allow almost infinite options.

I like trying new things.

The Live valve is only active in the displacement of fluid from the reservoir. The cheapest option would likely to be just remove it completely and install an o-ring seal end cap in its place. I would like to add a DSC adjuster to give a few more options for tuneability on the outside of the shock. That should let me test basic changes in low and high speed compression before making internal changes.

These shocks are going to require some clever packaging, especially on the rear axle. I don't want to cut big holes in the rear wheel tubs.

These will go on after the change to the new Deaver springs I have in the works to replace the sagged out 1" Superlift springs.
Really interesting, especially the specifics relative of running leafs and their internal friction. Much appreciated that you are experimenting and sharing your results here! Doing internal tuning is beyond my pay grade at this point, let alone tune a bypass shock- but looking forward to learning about it!

I've been thinking of having Accutune build some Fox shocks for my build. Sounds like they did a nice job for your LX which is good to hear. Their valving plus the DSC adjustment are probably the level of tuning I can handle at this point. Very interested in your Deavers! Thanks for the cool info!

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,042
The position sensitive setup could also help with roll and mimic a away bar if it can affect low speed rebound too. Next you'll be building a flutter valve stack and trailing arms!:LOL:

If you have to get very creative with packaging and shock angles you might consider piston travel speed differences through a full cycle.
The rears are likely going to be on a cantilever arm to help get the motion ratio back to normal.

I need the opposite of a roll bar. With this thing so low roll has never been an issue at all.
I basically need almost no shock at slow speeds with small axle movements....then more shock at the end of travel/speeds to help with things like G-outs.
The leaves have too much breakaway friction as is, I hope the reduction in rate and plastic slider ends from Deaver help that a lot.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,043
Really interesting, especially the specifics relative of running leafs and their internal friction. Much appreciated that you are experimenting and sharing your results here! Doing internal tuning is beyond my pay grade at this point, let alone tune a bypass shock- but looking forward to learning about it!

I've been thinking of having Accutune build some Fox shocks for my build. Sounds like they did a nice job for your LX which is good to hear. Their valving plus the DSC adjustment are probably the level of tuning I can handle at this point. Very interested in your Deavers! Thanks for the cool info!
I am very happy with the shocks on the LX45 that Accutune did.

I just like learning and trying new stuff. Position sensative valving has been a big question of mine for years.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I basically need almost no shock at slow speeds with small axle movements....then more shock at the end of travel/speeds to help with things like G-outs.
I had that same issue with my samurai crawler, get it valved for 1 thing and negatively impact another. Downhill bikes were similar as well but speed sensitive valving helps a ton, not enough fluid displacement to pull off multiple position valving with their packaging except for bottom out resistance.

Excited to see where this goes on Rango!

3041 - 3044 of 3044 Posts