Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front lower valve cover bolt was broken off in the head of my 440 and in the process of drilling it out my drill bit went too deep and barely cut into the freeze plug and the water jacket chamber behind it. I'm hoping it can be repaired on the engine...
Do they make deep freeze plugs which I could insert deeper into the head? Once I reinstall a new freeze plug could I use some sort of metal repair (JB Weld?) in the bottom of the hole and insert a short set screw to the bottom and expect that to seal adequately?

Anyone have suggestions besides getting a new head?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I would install the set screw with red loc-tite. It should be good till about 400* IIRC. 'Bender

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
Agreed, that should fix it. A better idea is to replace the bolt with a stud. Moat of my big blocks have two studs per head, and I normally replace all of the bolts with studs to make putting the valve cover and gaskets on easier.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ditto on the stud, better yet, replace all the bolts with studs, that way you can install new gaskets on the head instead of sticking them on the valve cover and hoping they don't slip or drop when putting the valve cover back on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts