Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per http://www.rockcrawler.org/rule_book_points.html

Tools
Vehicles must pass through an obstacle under the power of the vehicle and spotter. Therefore, tools may not be used. Tools are considered any item used as a means of leverage or bridge building that is brought with the competitor and not found naturally in the area surrounding the obstacle. Rocks may not be carried in a vehicle. Spotters may, and are requested to use straps on the vehicle to aid in spotter leverage without endangerment and will not be assessed tool infraction for such use.

Spotter Manipulation
Two (2) points will be assessed per obstacle once a spotter pulls on a strap.

So what is it going to be? Are we requested to use a stap, or do we get dinged 2 points? I wish they would make up their minds.....

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
I know for a fact that the statement:

Spotters may, and are requested to use straps on the vehicle to aid in spotter leverage without endangerment and will not be assessed tool infraction for such use.

should have been removed from the new rules, that was the way it was written in last years rules. There seems to be a number of people that missed that when we proof read the rules for 2003.

Also the statement:

Will be changed to read that (2) bonus points will be given if the strap is not used.

Rich

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Jason give me a call on my cell when you get a chance.
530-306-5343

Rich

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Big Rich said:
I know for a fact that the statement:

Also the statement:

Will be changed to read that (2) bonus points will be given if the strap is not used.

Rich
While I am likely to only compete in ERoCC this season, this, if any rule WRT spotter straps, makes ALOT more sense then an automatic penalty. Its good to see some progress on this issue.

·
Premium Member
4,937 Posts
Big Rich said:

Also the statement:

Rich
That sounds a lot better.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Here's another one.

<Round steel D.O.M tubing, 1.5" O.D with 0.120" is compulsory for the basic roll cage and must be RCAA approved. Aluminum and /or soft metals are not permitted. Roll bar construction must be welded. Roll cages made of other material or in other wall thickness/diameters must be done through an RCAA approved builder and have a certification and serial number on file with the RCAA. Contact the RCAA at 801-446-5337 for information.>

OK, so does that mean an RCAA approved builder has to do a 1.75" chassis since it's not 1.5"? I'd call and ask but- well, I've tried, so maybe Rich knows about this one.

It would also be good to know just how likely it is that 1.5" chassis will be ruled out at any point in the future in favor of 1.75.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Big Rich said:

Also the statement:

That sounds exactly the same to me! It is easier for the judges to add two points when the strap is used rather than remember to subtract 2 points everytime it isn't used.

·
Premium Member
4,937 Posts
TerryHowe said:

That sounds exactly the same to me! It is easier for the judges to add two points when the strap is used rather than remember to subtract 2 points everytime it isn't used.
They just worded it to make it like a bonus instead of a negative :D People LOVE bonus points :D

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Slagburn said:
Here's another one.

<Round steel D.O.M tubing, 1.5" O.D with 0.120" is compulsory for the basic roll cage and must be RCAA approved. Aluminum and /or soft metals are not permitted. Roll bar construction must be welded. Roll cages made of other material or in other wall thickness/diameters must be done through an RCAA approved builder and have a certification and serial number on file with the RCAA. Contact the RCAA at 801-446-5337 for information.>

OK, so does that mean an RCAA approved builder has to do a 1.75" chassis since it's not 1.5"? I'd call and ask but- well, I've tried, so maybe Rich knows about this one.

It would also be good to know just how likely it is that 1.5" chassis will be ruled out at any point in the future in favor of 1.75.
I agree! I posted a similar thing a couple of weeks ago and still have no answers. See below for udated questions.

I was thinking about competeting (at Katemcy) and was looking over the rules for ARCA/CalRocs/NARRCA and I'd have to build a new cage to meet the DOM rule. The rule states:

Round steel D.O.M tubing, 1.5" O.D with 0.120" is compulsory for the basic roll cage and must be RCAA approved. Aluminum and /or soft metals are not permitted. Roll bar construction must be welded. Roll cages made of other material or in other wall thickness/diameters must be done through an RCAA approved builder and have a certification and serial number on file with the RCAA. Contact the RCAA at 801-446-5337 for information.

I have several quesitions:
1. Why does RCAA have the approval for NARCR events?
2.Who are RCAA approved builders? Where do I find a list of so-called "Approved" Builders.
3. What are the RCAA requirements to become an "Approved Builder"?

This approved builders thing stinks of favortism.

My cage was built by Randy Ellis and I don't know if they will classifiy it. Secondly, I don't give a shit if RCAA approves Randy or not. I approved him and that's all that matters to me - its my life and the cage is way overbuilt! It uses 1.75" O.D. 0.120"wall mild steel. What is meant by certification?? Are they going to worry about AWS certified welders? - I think it is more important that the welder be certified than the approved builders.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
how does RCAA choose authorized cage builders? What kind of things do they look for? Are they going to be needing kickbacks from fab guys like they get from Goodyear? I'm just curious, because it is rapidly becoming a run the circuit or get out issue. It will be extremely difficult for an individual to decide to compete in one event, and then get all his ducks in a row in time to make the comp.

Doug

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Dunno if this helps, but I talked to Rich a couple of days ago about running the NAARCA event here in Phx. He said they would overlook some of the cage/chassis/harness rules if you are only planning on one event. It would be my first comp ever, and he said they really want to try to bring new competitors to the sport, so they can make some exceptions, as long as your vehicle is safe and the cage is sturdy. If running the whole series, then the rules can't be overlooked.

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Ok I'll try and explain this again....

First off the cage requirements as far as type of material, is a safety starting point, you will not be DQ for not having what we state, but you may be asked to sign a release stating that you know your vehicle has been built with something smaller or less substantial.....I don't at this time care who built it, that's for later down the road. (randy would be considered an approved builder).
But I would not, because I've never built a cage myself, see where we are going.

As far as RCAA and their relationship to CalROCS/NARRCA:

We are working together to try and establish rules and classes that have some we can all work under....trying to set some standards so everyone knows what is required when you show up at an event. All the other promoters have been asked if they wished to join in on the rule making process, and for whatever their reasons are (I'm sure their good ones) decided to do something else. We were and are not trying to take over or run the rockcrawling world, we were just trying to establish standards.

Rich
530-306-5343

Please feel free to call for more information or possibly clearer definitions

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.