Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a brand new set of RCV axles in a 78/79 Ford Dana 44 axle this weekend. I ran in to an issue that I thought I would post here to maybe save others hours trying to figure it out. On the outside end of the inner RCV axle is a cut grove with spring clip that snaps in to the bearing assembly to hold it in place on the splines. The outer axle shaft plugs in the the other side of the bearing assy.

In most applications and videos I saw you simply push on the bearing assembly enough to overcome the snap ring and the bearing assembly is installed.

Well I spent the better part of 3 hrs. trying to understand why I could not overcome the snap ring while installing the bearing assy. I used dead blow hammers, and even a hydraulic press and it would not budge. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a rubber "o" ring was in the grove under the spring clip. I removed it and "boom" slid right on. I called RCV (some really nice guys) and explained my issue. He mentioned that for a while there some axles went out with the rubber "o" rings under the spring clips for tighter holding due to problem with certain lockers that allowed the shaft to wonder. They eventually went to a thicker spring clip and did away with the "o" rings.

All we can figure is I got an axle with the "o" ring and also the thicker spring clip. So, if you run in to this problem, just remove the "o" ring.

RCV was very apologetic and genuinely appreciative of my call. Those guys and their products are great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Installed a brand new set of RCV axles in a 78/79 Ford Dana 44 axle this weekend. I ran in to an issue that I thought I would post here to maybe save others hours trying to figure it out. On the outside end of the inner RCV axle is a cut grove with spring clip that snaps in to the bearing assembly to hold it in place on the splines. The outer axle shaft plugs in the the other side of the bearing assy.

In most applications and videos I saw you simply push on the bearing assembly enough to overcome the snap ring and the bearing assembly is installed.

Well I spent the better part of 3 hrs. trying to understand why I could not overcome the snap ring while installing the bearing assy. I used dead blow hammers, and even a hydraulic press and it would not budge. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a rubber "o" ring was in the grove under the spring clip. I removed it and "boom" slid right on. I called RCV (some really nice guys) and explained my issue. He mentioned that for a while there some axles went out with the rubber "o" rings under the spring clips for tighter holding due to problem with certain lockers that allowed the shaft to wonder. They eventually went to a thicker spring clip and did away with the "o" rings.

All we can figure is I got an axle with the "o" ring and also the thicker spring clip. So, if you run in to this problem, just remove the "o" ring.

RCV was very apologetic and genuinely appreciative of my call. Those guys and their products are great.

I have that same set up, without the o ring I was snapping shafts. It's a huge pain in the dick, but worth it when you're on the trail. hope you didn't fuck up.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
I cant help but mention, its pretty funny to have a thread about d44 axles in the rock bouncing forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts