Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: chop saw tube notching.

Wow. no more chop saw for me.

As i sat there... unsafely freehanding away, i glanced left.

what did i see sitting there?

The DIE GRINDER.

DAAAAAAAAAAMMMN. that works 10000X better than the chop saw.

Next time yer gittin ready to choke up on that piece of tube and tear into it with the chop saw, haul out the die grinder, you'll be pleasantly suprized.

Oh yeah. If you dont already have a pipe vice. go get one. ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Please elaborate! I've heard about the chop saw method alot too but they all seem to be a whole bunch of work to get a rough fit at best. What's the secret??

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GED said:
Please elaborate! I've heard about the chop saw method alot too but they all seem to be a whole bunch of work to get a rough fit at best. What's the secret??
1.get some of these
http://www.vansantent.com/pipemaster.htm
2. trace cope onto tube with sharpie.
3. cut along mark as accuratley as possible
4. clean up to mark with grinder.
5. weld

:smokin:

·
Registered
982 Posts
thats what i used

this weekend, 4 1/2 die grinder, cutting disc at home depot $1.87, grinding wheel $3.50 works pretty good,wish i had a tube notcher tough.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I'm guessing you mean angle grinder rather than die grinder? If so, I agree completely and use mine a lot in that capacity.

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
I kinda go 1/2 and 1/2...

miter cut it with the chop saw, then clean up the "fishmouth" a bit with the grinder... and weld.

I used to do that tracing BS... once you get a feel for what a good notch looks like you don't need it any more.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
GED said:
It's not rocket science! maybe if you had more than a GED you could figure it out :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
muddinmike said:
40 dollar tube notcher from HF. works great
On about 10% of the notches I make. :shaking: Very limited.
In a word, crap.
Actually, crap that I have broken.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
^^^ditto, when i was fabbing cages, links, bumpers, fenders for my buddys shop this summer thats what i did. you get good at it after a few 12hr days...

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
For a 90* intersection, you cut two 45's into the end of the tube to make it look like a point. Grind down the points and flash from the chop saw and you have yourself a nice notch. Do it a few times with some scrap tube and you'll figure out how to do other angles.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
My post was in reference to his original "freehand on a chop saw" vs. "diegrinder" (aka Angle Grinder) for cutting to fit.

I also set my chop saw for 45* and cut a close approximation, then clamp in place (pipe vice does work well but can be in the wrong place), and then "fit" to a piece of scrap at the proper angle.

·
Zeus of the Sluice
4,740 Posts
when someone says die grinder, I see an inline grinder with a chuck/collet, that produces EVIL little burrs when using a carbide tip :eek:

now a sanding drum on an electric die grinder?.... works pretty damn good for cleaning up a fish mouth for a TIGHT fit.

9 times out of 10 a saw (porta band/sawsall/chopsaw) and a grinder works bitchen.

hole saws suck. too time consuming and a PITA. I used to use them allot before I was converted to the saw/grinder method. :beer:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts