Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179253
This is the only thing in the bible...
My 85 fsm has resistance testing for the thing but the same type of testing failed to get accurate results on the afm.
Search is um well you already know.
Besides swapping it for a known good unit, any way to test it thru the ecu?
The fsm section on ecu inputs left out the coilpac...

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Toyota dealership pn. is n.l.a.
China wants $200 for a knockoff
E bay oem used are around a hunnered bux...
Anyone have a recommendation on a good replacement brand?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just do the GM swap, super easy and cheap. I think i spent 10 dollars on the HEI module and like 50 for a new coil. I did this when I converted from EFI to propane. Just make sure you mount the HEI module on a heatsink. 2 wires from the dizzy to the module and 2 wires from the module to the coil. I carry a spare HEI module in my spares. I recommend this swap to anyone running a carb.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Just do the GM swap, super easy and cheap. I think i spent 10 dollars on the HEI module and like 50 for a new coil. I did this when I converted from EFI to propane. Just make sure you mount the HEI module on a heatsink. 2 wires from the dizzy to the module and 2 wires from the module to the coil. I carry a spare HEI module in my spares. I recommend this swap to anyone running a carb.
The point of Toyota electronics is to not carry a spare. GM ignition modules are not known for being reliable.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanx guy's,
I'm running the pin out on the harness and ecu now cuz a I cannot get it to idle (right), new tps adjustment done at .47mm and .85 still not right, 2 tps units swapped in also.
No change at the check connector...
What's the chance of the resistor circuit in the igniter going out and it still running?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
You need to set the TPS using the idl switch segment. Basically idl to grd is closed when blade is closed. Thats how the ecu know youre idling.
You set the tps for that switch to go open right as you crack the throttle. The feeler gauge is kind of irrelevant like the resistance reading ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
The point of Toyota electronics is to not carry a spare. GM ignition modules are not known for being reliable.

No, the point is actually helping the op to get his rig running, not just hoping it will run with shitty over priced used Toyota electronics. And as for GM modules not being know for there reliability, 3 years of hard wheeling in the AZ heat and my original module is still running strong, Just say'n, if you don't know what you are talking about.......:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
No, the point is actually helping the op to get his rig running, not just hoping it will run with shitty over priced used Toyota electronics. And as for GM modules not being know for there reliability, 3 years of hard wheeling in the AZ heat and my original module is still running strong, Just say'n, if you don't know what you are talking about.......:flipoff2:

3 years.... WOW, that is really impressive.... :rolleyes:
My last Toyota ignitor had 300k+ and 20 years, still going strong. But you're right, that gm module will totally still be up to the task 20 years from now.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
3 years.... WOW, that is really impressive.... :rolleyes:
My last Toyota ignitor had 300k+ and 20 years, still going strong. But you're right, that gm module will totally still be up to the task 20 years from now.
:lmao::lmao: I know of an 82 that has close to 500,000. 3 or 4 motors in that time and still has the original igniter.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
If memory serves me right you cannot use a gm ignition module for an RE motor. If I remember correctly the RE version gives ref pulse to the ecm for inj pulse.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If memory serves me right you cannot use a gm ignition module for an RE motor. If I remember correctly the RE version gives ref pulse to the ecm for inj pulse.
There's about 4 different versions of HEI module 4,5,7,8 pin ones. One of them has to work. 5 and up are computer kind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts