Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 99' dodge 1500 wondering if anyone has tried to relocate their rear spring hangers from the side of the frame down to the bottom of the frame and also move the perches on the axle inwards if not is it possible to do so?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone with ideas for that?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I havent dont that, but I did rebuild/move the hangers on my Dakota. Honestly I dont see how it would be too hard to do. You will have to cut off the old hangers from the frame and spring plates from the axle, move the spring plates and weld em back in. Front hanger is a solid mount (no shackle) right? If so, just fab up one on the frame rail. Could be as simple as DOM tubing gusseted in. Same for the rear. Heck, give it a shot fabbin up the mounts before you cut the old off. That way youre not completely sunk if you get in over your head. Maybe look into some jeep shackle/spring over stuff.

My real question is why? What are you trying to gain with this?

Also, search the board. You will get many ideas from those results. Dont expect to be spoon fed here.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was just considering doing that to get more lift from relocating.also i wanted to a way to run some revolver shackles too.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Ive been thinking the same thing myself. Only issue I see is in the rear frame rail for the rear hanger. It very norrow and not boxed in. Once its boxed in you should be good to go.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey v-10 how did you do your rear shackle flip. can you run revolvers on that set up

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Guys,

I'm No dodge expert , i was just poking around. But why dont you guys try the shackle flip like the Chevy and Ford guys do. Moving Spring perches and the mounts seems like to much work in my opion. Yet i could be off in left field with what im talking about.

- jason

·
Premium Member
10,659 Posts
I'll ask you first, did you search ? I know there are at least two rigs on here that have done it. They were the 77-93 body styles but yours would not be much different.

I did it and I love it. In the end it was not much more work than doing a flip and I have Mad flex for a full size. Some of that has to do with your springs and your shocks.

If you decide to do a flip and you need another 1/2" or so of lift get the shacles off a mid 80's 1/2 ton ford. They are 1" longer than a Dodge

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks i looked around i found bds makes a shackle flip set up for the 2nd gen. also ill look to get some 80's 1/2 ton ford shackles for it too.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Tripower38 said:
Hey Guys,

I'm No dodge expert , i was just poking around. But why dont you guys try the shackle flip like the Chevy and Ford guys do. Moving Spring perches and the mounts seems like to much work in my opion. Yet i could be off in left field with what im talking about.

- jason
I already flipped my rear shackle. Trying not to use lift springs in the rear. Ive got the front hangers dropped and Im not liking it. If I move the spring mount under the frame. I will acheive the hieght I need without having huge hangers in the front.

Chuck, There may be an issue with the fuel tank on the left frame rail. The tank is sitting on the rail and the leaf may hit the tank. I do havea 35 gallon tank. It may not be an issue with a smaller tank.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i checked out my truck if i did relocate to the bottom of the frame it would hit the gas tank. but im definetly looking to do a shackle flip for the rear. hey v-10 so your running stock rear springs on you rig, about how much lift did you get with the shackle flip?

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
you can use 4 stock 72-93 dodge front leaf hangers under the frame, and it will clear the gas tank.

Also, your dodge already has longer shackles on it than the earlier trucks.

The down side to what your talking about is that it will lower your roll center, and make the truck more unstable in sidehill situations due to the spring having less force on the truck.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Im running stock springs. The shackle flip netted me 5" of lift but really pushed the rear axle forward and threw the pinion angle way off. I bithte bullet and tryed the drop hangers.I elminated the stock 4.5" block and recentered the axle. But the front hanger hangs very low.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey v-10 about what size of front hangers are you running in the rear?. also how did you correct the pinnion angle with like degree shims or what ? also why dont you like the front hangers dropped so far? thanks

·
Registered
711 Posts
chuck's99 said:
hey v-10 about what size of front hangers are you running in the rear?. also how did you correct the pinnion angle with like degree shims or what ? also why dont you like the front hangers dropped so far? thanks
The spring hangers dropped the front of the spring 6" My pinion angle is right where it should be now, without a degree shim. First issue I have with the hangers is the quality. I dont think it will hold up well. Actually Im building a set to replace the ones I have now. Another issue is they hang low enough that it wouldnt take make to gettehm hung up on something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts