Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 564 Posts

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re:pete

So I bought this truck 2 years ago.

Most of you know the story behind the truck and the decision at the time.

I bought it to go on a huge trip, ended up going on a bunch of big trips. Over the last 2 years I have put 38,000 miles on it.

It has hauled my Jeeps around

It has been to Johnson Valley, twice, from the east coast

It has been to the infield at 24 hours of Daytona twice

It has been driven through rain, sleet, snow, hail, etc.

So I have a pretty good idea about what the truck is all about by now.

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Aaron (DeJeeper) and I have been hauling shit around the country for years. Racing NEUROC, WeRock, then just recreational stuff. We found out early that hauling 2 was much more economical, so we have been set up for that for some time.

The last trip out to Moab. We were both pushing around 22-25k with our trucks. They do OK, but they are both getting older and neither of have a huge desire to get a new truck with DPF crap and exhaust fluid crap, not to mention they are expensive as crap any more.

The bottom line is the Pete gets amazingly similar mileage (7ish vs. 9ish for the pickups), has the potential to hold a bunch more stuff and more Jeeps, and handles the weight much better than the pickups.

We decided that we were going to get out of the pickup truck game for towing our junk and step directly into class 8 world.

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So we had the Pete. It was OK, but it had a list of bad stuff. Well, actually really bad stuff.

First and foremost it had about a 5 inch crack (later found out to be about 14 inch!) crack in the block and leaked oil like a sieve. Like a gallon about every 750 miles. The problem with that is it just soaks everything under the truck, and all the rubber in the carrier bearings were rotting out and it would just drip the entire length of the truck. Working on it was miserable.

The motor felt a little worn, and the accessory drive sounded like a box of hammers whenever the air compressor kicked on.

The box was slowly tearing itself apart. The flexible nature of a semi truck frame and the rigid nature of an aluminum box were not getting along well. It did not help that the previous owners did not attach the box well. It was shaking itself apart. Rivets were falling out faster than RoosterBooster could replace them, the roof was slowly tearing itself apart.

It was getting water damage because the aluminum froof was actually tearing under the stress.

And it is too fucking tall. Every bridge becomes a personal challenge.

Not to mention a bunch of piddly stuff, like the rear AC was pretty much a joke and the generator was gas. It worked fine, but who wants to carry additional gas when you have 250 gallons of diesel?

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We decided to look into what we really wanted in a ToterHome. We came up with a list that we felt reasonable.

1. Under 60k used
2. HDT based, not MDT based
3. Real motor. 10+ liters. No 3116/3126, 466, 5.9 BS for us.
4. Real transmission. Air shifted goodness. No 5/6/7 or Allison
5. Reasonably able to hold a Jeep on the bed if one of us wants to go with no trailer
6. Sleep 3 easily
7. Tow large goose or tag with no issues
8. MASSIVE jake brake

Well this list is not reasonable to everyone else. Most of the toters in our price range were mediums with small motors and allisons, or older HDTs with HUGE boxes that were not going to be very maneuverable.

We looked at trucks for a solid 6 months on the classifieds here, EGay, Racing Junk, etc. We just could not find anything that met MOST of what we wanted, much less some of what we wanted.

The closest we got was a Pete 330 with a 8.3 and a Super 10. We figured a PacBrake would make up a little for the Jake and the 8.3 was a good motor, but the sleeper was really small.

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So we looked back at the Pete. It has some good things about it. When we really started thinking about it it has some GREAT things.

RTToys set me up in Houston and it has a redone driveline with new U joints

We also did the fan clutch and a bunch of other little stuff.

The tires were all new when we got it.

I had to re do the brakes after a hub seal failed on the way back from the Hammers, so they are all fresh.

I have been through most of the electrics in the cab to at least know where we are with it, we know the truck, and we know what it needs.

We had a bad feeling that buying another HDT would just mean more issues, and driveline modifications ane everything else are not cheap.

So we had a decent truck with a beat to hell box and a leaking motor. Fuck it. We own tools. We got this.

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First we prioritized what we wanted.

1. Good sleeper AC
2. Air ride for the cab and sleeper, both for ride and to stop the flex
3. Rear deck long enough for a Jeep to be up on it
4. Capability for tag trailer and goose trailer
5. Reliable engine
6. Diesel generator
7. Lower height
8. Sleeps 3+
9. Shorter length

It is a long list, but we felt we could do it. So we started collecting parts.

First was a little itty bitty generator. We wanted diesel and 220v to run the plasma and welders when in the middle of nowhere. We usually bring them for more, ahem, complicated repairs. We also wanted to be able to power friends camping. Besides that, air cooled diesel gens are hard to find over 5kw, and water cooled ones are awesome and quiet as shit.

Stock photo

Then we started looking for a sleeper. They are not hard to find or really expensive, but ones that are not *that* tall or *that* long, plus had 2+ bunks are not the easiest to find. We ended up finding this one with all fiberglass construction, roof AC, rear access door, double bunks, etc. for a decent price. 1500 miles away, of course, but hey.

101 inches long.

How do you get a sleeper on a trailer? Glad you asked.

Then we found a real nice motor. Pulled from a military 1984 M915a1 with 60k on the odo but a fresh Cummins ReCon tag from 2002. Thing looked BEAUTIFUL. Not a drop of oil anywhere, and no huge cracks in the block.

Getting it home was "fun"

How do you get it out? Call your buddy with a backhoe.

Then you take it back up for a core.

You get a lot of looks driving around like that.

Instead of a core refund we got cab air ride and a full PTO wet kit for running hydraulics. Because if shopteach taught us anything, its that Class 8s and roll backs are BAD FUCKING ASS.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Subscribbled. Wanna see how the diesel genny works out.

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The engine swap went well. Really just the same as a 4.0 Jeep motor swap, just the shit was a little heavier.

First you wake up determined.

Then you start lifting stuff off with a fork.

Then you lift things out with a fork.

Probably the biggest issue we ran into was getting all the Peterbilt stuff to work right on the Military motor. Lots of little stuff, swapping sensors, accessories, plugs. Plus some bigger stuff, like converting it from high flow to low flow because a new high flow rad is $1000+, and running well below half capacity we have never even had the fan come on.

So then you hump a tranny. Lining this thing up was a bitch even with an engine leveler and sideshift on the fork.

Then you rig it up to set it back in

Then you gently place it in the frame

Then you crank the key 3 times and it fires off like it really really wants to run.

Then you start bolting back on your multiple palates of stuff and make it look like nothing ever happened.

And all in just 3 hours (well more like 3 days but we are amateurs at this crap...:flipoff2:)

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't watch the next part if you are squeamish about wanton destruction :flipoff2:

Even though the wiring was suspect, the floors were buckling from the twisting of the frame and the roof was leaking, the box still had good stuff to give.

First we had to pull the skirts. Whoever invented the steel rivets needs to be skull fucked with a baseball bat until their brain falls out. I had to grind off the heads, punch out the pin, then pull each one out with pliers. They did not want to come out at all. At least aluminum ones you can drill.

Then you fire up the ole plasma and start cutting tanks and liftgates off

Then you start stripping the inside

And because this guy screwed it all in, then glued it, then nailed it... it was probably the only reason the aluminum box made it this far to begin with. But it takes awhile to strip. Most of the appliances will make it into the new truck.

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And, because our asses are important to us, we got a pair of Bostrom Wide Ride IIs with leather, Serta Memory Foam and a back massager.

Thats about where we are. I am going back out to work on the Miata now:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
You planning a rollback bed? If you go to an open rear over an enclosed box what are your plans for tool and spare parts storage? Maybe a 4' or 6' long box behind the sleeper?

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You planning a rollback bed? If you go to an open rear over an enclosed box what are your plans for tool and spare parts storage? Maybe a 4' or 6' long box behind the sleeper?
We are planning on a roll back we will see how it works out. We are working on some designs to keep it low enough to haul a goose but still a good enough load angle to haul the Miata.

We are going to have a bunch of tool boxes under the rails. For big trips we usually pack in large waterproof boxes and secure them under the Jeeps on the open deck or we will just bring my 22' enclosed trailer. We have done that before and it works great behind the Pete, but it will be great to haul 1 on the deck and 1 in the enclosed.

Currently we have a 28' 2 place goose, a 30' 2 place (or 2 plus 1 motorcycle) tag, and a 22' 14k enclosed.

Considering a bigger goose (48-53') with some hydros to haul 4 or 5 Jeeps, that would be awesome... but some time down the road. If we do that we will probably build a removable tool box behind the sleeper.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
So the roll back is just for the option to bring the miata? I'm sure the jeeps and buggies wouldn't mind climbing up a typical hauler bed.

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the roll back is just for the option to bring the miata? I'm sure the jeeps and buggies wouldn't mind climbing up a typical hauler bed.
The roll back is for a bunch of reasons. To be able to load cars is just one of them. Getting broken rigs back on the deck will be much easier with a roll back. We will be able to lift up the front or back of the jeeps to let the suspensions out for filling shocks or repair. It should slide forward enough to get to the rear pumpkin from the top, which will make upgrading the pete to an air locker super easy.

Basically we are trying to make this truck as multipurpose as possible.

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Awesome brother, your building what i want to do on my next truck

1 - 20 of 564 Posts