Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Re: THE 1st POLICE AMIGO BUILD-UP THREAD---

So here goes, this will be my first build up.

I am in no way associated with government services, but thought it would be better to have a theme build-up, and decided on the black/white theme.

I purchased the original vehicle off of eBay in 2006 from a guy up in Minnesota. It didn't take long before I ruined it, but couldn't part ways with my new hobby, so it is being rebuilt and being made better along the way.

Here starts the 'Police Amigo' build up...enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After owning the above ^^^ for probably less than a month it looked......well, used....

This was my first of two roll-overs. This one was into an undiscovered hole that I plunged into one night after pulling up 'just a hair' to allow access for another buddy to get winched out of a mud hole. Anyway, before I knew it I was on my side......it took about 20 minutes, but we winched it out of the hole, and kept on riding.

Damage: Minor

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So, I'm back to trail riding and all is good for a few weeks.

The carb that was installed on the SIDEKICK was a Holly Truck Avenger, but never adjusted to the 4.3 L Vortec V6 that was pulled from an S-10. For what it's worth, the Sidekick firewall had been modified to fit the motor.

One night out riding, the vehicle caught on fire because of gasoline overflow from the carb. Fortunately, there was a fire extinguisher in the vehicle which minimized the damage to just wiring (I say 'just', but it took a skilled friend 4 hours to rewire).

DO NOT backup on pavement with the stock birfields in 4wd (yes, these are 8" Toyota axles out of a 79-85 Hilux truck (what is now a Tacoma). I did exactly this coming out of a friends driveway, and snap - the stock birf broke.

SO, a week and weekend later, I installed Longfield axles.

Back to the trails.........then this happened:

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is the old Suzuki body after we tried to save it/realized we couldn't.

The roof was too far gone and wouldn't be stiff enough to protect myself of other passengers if it were (it will) roll again.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I figured it was time to move on.

A friend of a friend was able to get me a great deal on a ISUZU Amigo (1994) body/frame. We agreed to cut the running gear and pull the motor/trans and give it back, and I got to keep the interior/body/frame. Sounded great to me.

After spending time pulling it apart, I realized I didn't have enough time to do it all. I grabbed a friend (aren't they great), and he helped pull the motor / transmission.

Here is a pic of the Amigo being gutted:

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At this point in the game, I still figured this would be a cheap (CHEAP) project, thus I wasn't willing to give out on jack stands. Here's a hint: buy good jack stands. You'll be working on this a while!

·
Typical White Guy
3,709 Posts
Here is the old Suzuki body after we tried to save it/realized we couldn't.

The roof was too far gone and wouldn't be stiff enough to protect myself of other passengers if it were (it will) roll again.
Somebody should come up with a new concept where they take tube and bend it into a 'cage' to be placed in the vehicle in the event of a 'roll'. Hell, for the sake of simplicity they could call it a 'roll cage':idea: Come awn, man... I'm thrilled to see another build thread in the Isuzu section; but not putting a roll cage in a vehicle you knew was going to get rolled was just dipshittastic.:shaking:
________
JAILBROKEN

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Somebody should come up with a new concept where they take tube and bend it into a 'cage' to be placed in the vehicle in the event of a 'roll'. Hell, for the sake of simplicity they could call it a 'roll cage':idea: Come awn, man... I'm thrilled to see another build thread in the Isuzu section; but not putting a roll cage in a vehicle you knew was going to get rolled was just dipshittastic.:shaking:
It was one of those things where I was enjoying it first before modifying it. I had intentions of putting on the roll cage, but hadn't owned it long, at since we were in the middle of wheeling season, my plan was to do it 'later'. Well you see what putting the cage off led to.

This one will have a roll cage before wheeled.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
now as you can tell, there is a lot of body work that needs to be done.

i'll end up buying another tail gate and hood since the ones that came with the vehicle are trashed.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 144 Posts