Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My searching fucked up so don´t flame me for asking.
Im working with this tubular thingie and up to this day I have gone with the normal suzuki rear axle. Now im considering swapping that axle is to another front axle so I get 4 wheel steer.
Allthough, I put down some time on the rear axle 3rd member and welded the diff etc.

My question is: Can I use the 3rd member from the rear axle in the front axle?

And please dont give any crap about using suzuki axles :) I love them and I´m gonna use 16" wide paddles on them. HAH!

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
The side gears are different.

The front axle shaft is smaller diameter than the rear.
Put a set of front side gears in your rear and you're good to go.

The pre 88.5 third members were the same except for the side gears.

Post 88.5 fronts only had one cross pin, instead of three (four holes). A lot of poeple say this is a strength issue, but I've never seen one broken. Axles/birfields go first.

So yes you can do it, but you have to change the side gears.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sidegears? Im lost! Please explain¨

Edit:
just to clarify: im not intrested in putting a front 3rd member in a rear axle. Im intrested in putting a rear 3rd member in a front axle. And its the 410 model

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
I am not familiar with the 410.
All we have around here are the Samurai (5 speed gearbox).
I’ve never seen a 410 in person.

The side gear is the large gear in the differential that engages the axle shaft (splined) and the spider gears. The spider gears are the same in both the front and rear, the side gears are different to accommodate the different diameter/spline count axle shaft.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
the third members will be stamped f and r .like silver zuk said just find some front side gears for the rear

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'm pretty sure that when the front carriers changed, so did the side gears. The newer front side gears are different then the older ones. The new ones won't fit into the old style front carrier or the rear carrier .:D

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Starslope:
Got any more pictures of your buggy? It looks pretty neat.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sure do!

Mounted the hydraulic ram today

Here are the rims that will cause pain to the suzuki axles

Another pic of the ram. They just look like bogger welds :)

Here you see the panhard link

Got width?

How about that BS? :)

The front link connection to the frame

The tubing is 48x2,6 mm mild steel. There are alot of tubes to go in there yet.
Rover 215 cui mated to a volvo aut. connected to a divorced suzuki tcase with lower gearing.
This car is low to cope with steep slopes and the tires will only taste fine grain sand. No rocks.

So let the flamin´begin! How many minutes will I drive before the birfields break?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I dont think you have gotten it close enough to being finished for anyone to say anything bad

but maybe some body might say something about your t case being a fusible link or that you wont be able to turn when you get tires on the big rims and you allready know about the weak axle situation otherwise

keep us posted:D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Those look more like trash cans than wheels.:p

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just an observation: 410's have 6.5" ring gears and Samurais (413's ?) have 6.9" ring gears. The pins in the diff case fit inside the ring gear's ID. A Samurai diff case has a larger ID, OD & longer pins. 410's do have 4 pinion diffs though (like early Samurais). Side gears or lockers from a Samurai won't fit in a 410's diff case. I have been told that Samurai third members wont fit in 410 housings either. 410's do have 22 front and 26 rear splines. (Like the others). 410 Housings are narrower, so the axles must be shorter too. I have a pair of 410 "rears" I thought were Samurai. I didn't find out about all of the above untill most of the Samurai parts I had on hand didn't fit into the 410's. Capn_Crunch fixed that with a donor Samurai. Enjoy, MIKE

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
The front axles are smaller diameter but the birfield is the same on 410's as samurais I've been told. A popular swap in Canada is 1985 narrow track SJ-413 front inner axleshafts.

With a rover V-8 and front sj-410 axle in rear, the first time you give it full throttle with the steering cranked it should pop the birfield or the axle shaft.

I'm assuming you will use small diameter tires?

·
Registered
71 Posts
It looks like you've put a lot of throught and work into this rig. Personally, I'd kiss those axles goodbye and get some real axles under there. As stated before, they're gonna explode on your first trip out. Shoot, the weight of those rims alone are enough to wreak havoc.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for the input Mike. It was very intresting stuff. Im beginning to think Ill be better off just welding the new front axle and dont mess around so much.

Slowzuki said:
I'm assuming you will use small diameter tires?
The tires will be 33"x16,5" paddles with two out of tree paddles trimmed away.

I wanna test this rig out and see if I can get it real light and how competitive it will be. But the longterm plans are spelled toyota axles- and t-case. Is that the "true path"?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
So it will be a hill climber

That is awsome:D :D

you can bring that thing to the sand drags any time down here:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts