Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I think you are the only people who can answer this as it's an odd modification.
I have good but old 2wd hilux Ute (pickup) that I will be retiring on the farm soon and want to modify it to put a PTO in the tray for both a firefighter hose and a hydraulic pump to run some other gear I have. The method if it works is to drive to where I need to work on the farm, unlock the rear hubs and engage a simple v belt clutch from the drive shaft up to the PTO in the tray.

A lot of 4WD forums I have read say you need a coustom shaft and full floating axle in the rear for it to work. But this is for towing road worthy cars. My ute has a 1ton load rating but would not have a clue of it's free floating or not.

Is it a matter that it just won't work without the free floating axle or can I get away with it as it's not traveling very far for the rest of it's working life.
I was hoping I could just modify and bolt on some old 4wd hubs and get it to work but it's sounding all to easy to be the case?
Any thoughts guys?
Thanks
Ben in OZ.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You will have to have a full floatiing axle which will look like a 1 ton does with the center having hubs sticking out and some bolts holding the axle shaft in.

The easiest way I can see you making this work would be to get a front axle and make is solid across so it doesn't turn. Or get rearsteer. You would then have to figure out what you wanted to do about the offset pumpkin. Either run it like that or do some axle tube changing.

Why not just get a transfer case with a pto?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your right! I was looking at it too cheaply. PTO with a transfer case makes a lot more sence! It would be easier to shorten a drive shaft than to sort out a coustom axle.
There is a tractor yard up the mountain from here and will go have a chat with them about that as It's an odd part to find.
Thanks Rider!

·
E. Spengler
3,831 Posts

Introduced in 1925 was a rather unique pump being demonstrated here that had no connected power source.
Instead, this pump, operated by means of a belt drive off the wheel of a vehicle or motorcycle as shown here.
:laughing:

Any way that you could slap in a Tcase, twin-stick it (so that you can disengage the rear), and run your stuff off of the front output? I don't know if your pumps would fit underneath...

Not all Tcases can disengage the front/rear wheels separately. The Toyota Tcases will not disengage the rear wheels. But cases like the Dana 20, Dana 300, NP205.. they are able to be twin sticked and disengage either front or rear. I'm sure there are other cases, but I cant remember them.
What is a "front dig"? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest
I'm just thinking that a divorced tcase is probably easier to find than one with a PTO...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahaha! Love that pic! It looks like an historical photo of the beginnings of redneck engineering!

It's not far from my first idea. I was going to jack the back of the ute up and use a simple belt clutch mounted on the shaft up through the tray. The problem with that is you have spinning rear wheels that dogs and kids can find their way around.

Rear mounted hub locks would solve that problem . A 4wd transfer case still does not solve that problem as the rear wheels are still always driving. Unless you rig them somehow?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry Sub, I just read that quote! That solves my drama! Dana transfer case! Will jump online and see what I can find!

·
E. Spengler
3,831 Posts
Huh. That's not a bad idea either...jackstands and a handful of lugnuts and you're in business, or cages that fit around each wheel.

I seem to recall seeing driveshaft drum brakes. That would give you a nice belt surface.

But throwing a tcase lever would be a lot easier, once it's built. :D

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Call Marlin and ask him if he will sell you one of his Toyota transfer cases with the pto output. He has two I think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm. Now I'm thinking the cheapest and quickest would be an airbag jack of the exhaust then some drop down jack stands and some wheel covers to keep the little hands safe.

Shaft brake drum! Did not know one existed... I was looking at stacking 2 or 3 v belts pulleys on the drive shaft but I'm liking the drive shaft break drum

·
E. Spengler
3,831 Posts
I don't know if that drum would work...I was picturing an old flat leather belt, like steam engines used! V-belts might be better.

HERE is an idea. Rear driveshaft disconnect. $850 is pretty steep though, compared to jackstands!

Looks like driveshaft disconnects are used by motorhome guys for towed vehicles. I'll bet there are cheaper ones out there.

However- that tranny output is meant to transmit a rotational load. Put a significant sideload on it and I bet there'll be trouble. Maybe you could rig a secondary support bearing...

I just read a thread here about 2-part driveshafts with a pillow block bearing in the middle... I assume your ute doesn't have much in the way of driveline angle? If not, you could run a short shaft off of the tranny, then a 3x v-belt pulley, then support bearing, then a shaft down to the rear diff...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Radial and axial loads! Your bang on with that one! I got no idea what the bearing setup is on each end but in pretty sure a pillow block would be needed. I'm thinking the redneck method with the belt off the rear wheel ls looking quick. Even another rim welded onto the rear wheel would be an idea. Actually, I could turn up a pulley that suits the bolt pattern on the rear hub and get longer hub nuts. It should run smother than a welded rim. A transfer case is ideal but funds and time are a huge factor at the moment. I'm sure I can get enough grunt out of the little 2L engine to push a lot of water!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts