Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i'll try to make this short. I had my semi float rear 60 for sale and it hasn't sold,so i decided to build it using one of the 70's i have and make it a full floater. When i started taking some measurements i realized the pinion on my 60 is offset by 11/16th". I then measured the 70 and i found out the pinion is offset by 2 and an 1/8". Is this normal? It seems to me that if the drive train is centered in the chassi,that the rear pinion should be centered also. Am i missing some thing here?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess i'm just wondering if i should keep it the same offset. Is this done to maybe help clear the front drive shaft?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
if i understand you correctly, the pinion being offset horizontally will be taken care of by the driveshaft u-joints just as it is vertically.

so obviuosly, center the axle with the frame and let the pinion set where it ends up.

maybe i'm not getting the question because i don't understand the "Is this done to maybe help clear the front drive shaft?" part of your post because the rear pinion has nothing to do with your front driveshaft as long as you are not moving the t-case.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you understand some of the ? The 60 was built for a cj7(front diff on pass)and the pinion is offset to drivers side. The 70 i have,was built for a ford(front diff on drivers side)and the pinion is offset to the pass side. Is this just a coincidence? I understand the ujoints will take care of the offset (up to a certain point).This also creates a compound angle in the driveline. I would rather avoid that if possible. I can build the axle however i need. I am just wondering if it is common to have the pinion offset to the opposite side as the front diff. Is your rear pinion offset at all? If it is,to what side? What side is your front diff on?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
my front 44 is drivers drop. the rear 60 is i don't know if/how much off-center. doesn't matter. all rear axles i've seen are so close to being center that i don't know of anyone with a problem in a swap.

you can take a rough measurement to see how close to center your rear t-case output is and relate that to your rear pinion offset. what could it be at most? a couple inches?

to alter your rear pinion would be crazy. what, retubing both sides if you wanted to keep the same WMS.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope,you were right,you don't understand my question. And you were right again when you said it doesn't matter,because it doesn't. It was just a ? as to if this type of slight offset was common,and if there was a common pattern like i posted. I'M not swapping axles,i'm building a buggy. If the rear transfer case output is centered in the chassi or frame,then why wouldn't the rear pinion be centered?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
There is offset on the diff and/or trans output to make the u-joint bearing turn and not wear in one place. So, no the drive shaft should not be straight left to right (centered).:smokin:

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Just make it so you can use factory length shafts. If the shafts were the same length that would be even better in terms of carring a spare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.