Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got 36 now and wana get some 38.5 14.5 15's--anyway got my longs and chromoly for the front now...how well does the rear hold up to this pounding? i have a detriot in the rear...would you recomend going to the rear chromoly??? thanks

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
408 jigga has broken a couple of rears. he even broke a birf and arear axle at the same time on an obstacle:eek: he runs triple cases for some crazy torque multiplication and fresh 37 mtrs. ive never broken a rear and im dual stock cases and 38.5 sx's...

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
I'm about to step up to 38.5s and have done a lot of thinking about the axleshafts. I now have two spare sets of front shafts, and don't know what I'm gonna do about the rears.

General concensus and everyones experience has been that the rear end will be fine unless you REALLY get it bound up in a hole or against an undercut bank, and even then the gears will likely break first. :)

I'd carry a sare rear axle if I had one... but I haven't been able to find one. :(

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
DRM when are you going to get that rear disk right up done.

From that post it seemed you could carry a spare rear shaft and it work on both sides which I think would be an added benefit to rear disks. With the backing plate cut off to the 4 bolt retainer it would be an easy swap.

There is only one way to find out if the rear will last though, got to put the big meats on.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Your gears are going to break before the rear axles. I asked Marlin about this a few years back and he said he had only heard of 2 people every breaking rear axles.

·
The Piratenite
30,419 Posts
i have twisted the third member out of the axle, twisted the splines out of a spool, broken several 4:10 gears but not broken a rear axle.

my wife has busted a rear detroit and a rear axle. and i have seen more and more rears starting to break due to the harder lines we are doing.

if i was still running a toy rear i would definatly have the cro-mo axle shafts and keep the stocks for spares.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
JamisonWorkshop said:
DRM when are you going to get that rear disk right up done.

From that post it seemed you could carry a spare rear shaft and it work on both sides which I think would be an added benefit to rear disks. With the backing plate cut off to the 4 bolt retainer it would be an easy swap.

There is only one way to find out if the rear will last though, got to put the big meats on.
1. Did you just call me DRM? :bitch slap:
2. Yup. If you have rear disc you only need one spare.

Although you can do it even if you don't have rear discs. Cut the backing plate off and cap off the hard line to which ever side you broke. I'd never carry two shafts with backing plates. Too much weight and space.

When am I doing a rear disc writeup? Sometime after I go rear disc, which may or may not be anytime soon. I have a feeling the Toy is going to be down for a couple months coming up - I may or may not do these projects all at once: :grinpimp:

Taco 2.7 swap
Rear Discs
38.5s and 1.5" front spacers
Two diffguards
Firewall tub
Second T-case
Rear 4-link and Stock TJ coils.
Cut off the roof and everything on the runner behind the seats. Go flatbed, beefy cage, and plastic buckets. Gut the interior and fab a new dash that I can use a pressure washer on, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
woody99 said:
Your gears are going to break before the rear axles. I asked Marlin about this a few years back and he said he had only heard of 2 people every breaking rear axles.
I should call Marlin, I broke the right rear a couple of summers ago. I suspect it was tired I guess, I broke it on a loose gravel hill, nothing really difficult or extreme, just a trail we happened to go camping on. The shaft broke just past the bearing and the tire got wedged up under the wheelwell.

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
yota san, tell us about all your projects when you are done with em, christmas wish lists are :rainbow:

edit-for some tech tho, i run 38 tsls all over CO and moab, not a problem yet

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I've got you all beat, broke one rear and both front birfields on Bad Medicine. 6 hours to go ten feet. They don't like undercuts with big tires.

Get a set of AP cromo's and keep the stockers for spares, just lose all the brake crap. Keep a plug for the T on the rear axle for the brake lines and plug the side that you break. 3 braking wheels is better than limp dicking out a trail with only one rear wheel turning.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
TNToy No I didnt call you DRM. I know better than that.:D
Sorry if I offended you.

I was just giving a shout out TO DRM to get his writeup done he said would have done in a week.

I didnt know if all rear disk swaps give you that option or just the setup he was reffering to.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Everything will break eventually. I think putting a spare axle in a trailer (if you have one) is a great idea, but actually carrying it around in your truck is pretty much just dead weight. You might use it 1 out of 50 times but is still just pretty much extra weight!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I broke a rear a couple months ago. This was due to my 5000 rpm assault on the rocks. I now have the chromo shafts and all is well.:D

·
Registered
869 Posts
I broke a rear axle when doing final opening of the Lower Staircase trail in Clayton, OK.

Of course, I'm was the Dallas area version of Camo this past year. 6 ring and pinions, several inner fronts, two proto Longfields, a front ARB, two front hubs, but the rear spool held up fine. Never broke a production Longfield either.

At the time, I was running 38.5 SXs, 22RE, dual stock t-cases part of the year, 4:1 single case the other part of the year.

It wasn't a good year... So I'm in full buid mode with the motor (302) and axle swap (Rockwells). Of course your want treat those axle right (44's) and turn them (full hydro). I might wheel sometime mid-summer :)

·
nice roach.
5,742 Posts
Where on the shaft itself have you all found that the axle breaks? I have seen a couple break and they have both broken at the groove where the snap ring goes behind the bearing...... heres a couple pics....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts