Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of axles from an 87 ford one ton single wheel 60 with the 10.25. I am putting them in a buggy with 42's. I am going with a doubler, they have 4.10 gears and I didnt want to regear, But ive read about the short spline pinions. I noticed the yoke is a little loose, but the bearings feel tight. I also have a 14bt, but was going with the sterling since I have it mocked up in buggy allready. Is this style of pinion going to cause me an issue?

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
as long as you get the correct yoke for your pinion whether it be short splined or long spline style.
since its a 87 it should have come factory with the short spline pinion/yoke
is that what you were wondering?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The yoke is still on it,it does have some play in the yoke not sure if it needs tightend or what. The pinion doesnt seem to have any play in the bearings. The seal is seepin a little. Its a complete axle. Ive just read where the short spline have had some pinion problems. This is a trail only buggy. Have matching axles out of 87 single wheel ton. Plus have a 14bt. Sould I put in a new seal and use the 10.25 with the short spline. Will it hold up to a v8 with 42's.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
when i put 4:10s in mine i had a set out of a pre94 10.25 (short spline pinion) and i havent had any problems with it.

but i dont have 42s either...

i guess id just keep an eye on the yoke to make sure it doesnt get any worse?
actually i think i have a long spline style yoke on my short spline pinion :shaking:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts