Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having trouble with the emergency and rear brake application. I adjust the drums manually and things work great for a day or two, then play builds up again, and the emergency brake quits working and it feels like the rear brakes aren't applying at the same rate they do when it is adjusted properly and all the braking is being handled by the front brakes. Can somebody tell me what's happening and how to fix it? Thanks, Danny

btw, drums and shoes are fairly fresh

added later----ok, I can't get the adjust to work with the arm connected to the cable, I have to pop off the small rubber cover (below it) that allows you to adjust it with a screw driver.....the arms do not click and activate the adjuster.......

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Disassemble, clean, and re-assemble everything.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
You do know that the parking brake is the ONLY thing that adjusts rear brakes on a toyota, right? They don't automatically adjust in reverse like Heep brakes. So if you don't use it every time you park it, the rear brakes get out of adjustment.

It sounds like this may not be the problem, though. Maybe a sticking adjuster?

Climb under the rig & pull the parking brake cable coming from the drum slowly. Does it make a "CLICK" as it's pulled out? Then the brakes are fine, they just need adjusted. Keep pulling until it stops making the CLICK noise, and try the pedal again.

If it firms up, then you just need to use the park brake more often. If not, then either an adjuster is stuck, or one of the other guys has the solution.

·
Registered
609 Posts
this is a problem that can be fixed pretty easy. TNTOY's advice was right on about the "click" in the adjuster and the constant use of the e-brake, but the problem you have is probably the cable that goes to the adjuster ratchet arm on the trailing brake shoe. If when you adjust the brakes manually and you don't hear that click then it is not securing the adjuster in place. Take the drum off and try adjusting the brake and look to see if the ratchet arm is hitting the teeth on the adjuster. If not try turning the hook on the cable to the other side of the arm. Its easy to forget which way the cable goes on but I bet this is your problem. If not then bend the arm so it contacts the teeth

1 - 6 of 6 Posts