Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone make their own rear rear corner protection? I'n not a big fan of the diamand tread stuff. I'd really like to bend up a set from something like .120 steel sheet, or maybe a bit thicker. Anyone do something like this?

i'm thinking of getting some sheet and clamping it to a section of pipe with the right radius and forcing it around with the help of a little heat if needed. I'm not worried about the compound curve.

I see a long future of me banging those rear corners...

Unless someone has a better idea. The plan is to keep the bed, so keep the sawzall comments to yourself. (I've done that in the past..)

Thanks,

-Wayne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,880 Posts
Make 4 while your at it, I cheated death once. Seriously though thinking about the same thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
I built a post coming up from each end of my bumper on one end it has the hinge for the tire carrier and the other is where the tire carrier latches although for some it might be too much like an exo cage or get hung up too much
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
I bent my own diamond plates once . I got them close to the same radius and used the rivets to pull it tight as I went around the bend . But I would like to get a set like you are talking that are more than just decorative . Kind of like the comp cornes you can get from Avalanche . But bending that thick of steel will take more than rivets to pull down . Post some pics once you make them .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,567 Posts
I'm thinking of a hoop that comes up from my bumper and around.. Make it of 1", so it's small and tight.

Of course, I don't have a picture of my bumper handy, so I cannot show a photochop of it..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
908 Posts
I got mine from Wheelers up in Oregon. They were shapedright with the top corner tucked in right to fit the curves of the body. You can get the stuff off of Ebay, but that stuff is sent flat and flat stock will stick out at the top.:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
I am thinking along the same lines as Ski and Tdavis. Kinda a partial lower Exo-cage

You may want to bend them up out of something a bit thicker, then cut out the original metal and weld the new corners in like a heavy duty patch panel.
Yea its more work, but you'll take a good hit with no damage, and it will look stock. Not to mention it wont RUST between the plates:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,962 Posts
The better idea...... If you cut them off there not there to get damaged. :flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,192 Posts
If you don't want the "Bling Bling" polished look, just paint them. They work fine.:flipoff2:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Rear corner protection.


Does this qualify?

TB:p :D :p


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,548 Posts
LWB Samurai Joe said:
Rear corner protection.


Does this qualify?

TB:p :D :p
[/IMG]




I hate when you post picts of that thing... :p now I have to go change my underwear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,192 Posts
LWB Samurai Joe said:
Rear corner protection.


Does this qualify?

TB:p :D :p




Yeah. It looks like those Jerry cans and Rubbermaid box will do a fine job.:D

That sure is a "pretty" rig by the way.:flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jeeppartz said:
I bent my own diamond plates once . I got them close to the same radius and used the rivets to pull it tight as I went around the bend . But I would like to get a set like you are talking that are more than just decorative . Kind of like the comp cornes you can get from Avalanche . But bending that thick of steel will take more than rivets to pull down . Post some pics once you make them .


Yes, Something like the Avalanche, but not that thick or that far forward. (I have a club member that just recently put those on his Jeep also.. Wow, they look heavy. His jeep is plated in 3/16 steel from the back all the way up to the front wheel well.)

So any clues on bending sheet steel to match the rear corners? For the compound curve, I can try doing the cut and bringing the ends together like they do on the diamond plate corners, but I'm guessing Steel will not be as willing to contort into shape. I guess I could always seem 2 or 3 pieces together as needed.

-Wayne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
rotozuk said:
Anyone make their own rear rear corner protection? I'n not a big fan of the diamand tread stuff. I'd really like to bend up a set from something like .120 steel sheet, or maybe a bit thicker. Anyone do something like this?

i'm thinking of getting some sheet and clamping it to a section of pipe with the right radius and forcing it around with the help of a little heat if needed. I'm not worried about the compound curve.

I see a long future of me banging those rear corners...

Unless someone has a better idea. The plan is to keep the bed, so keep the sawzall comments to yourself. (I've done that in the past..)

Thanks,

-Wayne
That's not very thick. Exo tube it or just plan on visiting junk yards for corner replacements....or you could just learn to drive better.
OPPS did I just say that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Re: rear corner protection

Crab Bait said:
That's not very thick. Exo tube it or just plan on visiting junk yards for corner replacements....or you could just learn to drive better.
OPPS did I just say that
yeah.. I know. I nned to do a little distructive testing. I don't a lot of point in putting something like 3/16 steel on it as a good side load will just bend the bed walls inward. I guess I could tie it all into my cage though... Just seems like overkill. Probably be something between .120 and .1875. I'll have to see what I have left in my pile of sheet stock.

I'm also not against a little internal ribbing. I'll let you try and picture that one in your head. (Don't hurt yourself..)

-Wayne :grinpimp:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
Re: Re: Re: rear corner protection

rotozuk said:


I'm also not against a little internal ribbing. I'll let you try and picture that one in your head. (Don't hurt yourself..)

-Wayne :grinpimp:
Was going to sugest that, but thought that it may be a bit of overkill along with the plate outside, but if you plate it inside, and rib the plate. you will look stock, and have a huge increase in strength on the corner.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
35,608 Posts
I never saw the need for corner protection. I field adjusted my sheet metal so it doesn’t hit anymore. A whole lot cheaper, less time consuming, and more fun than all that custom work. I’ve also customized all the body panels too.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Silverzuki said:
I never saw the need for corner protection. I field adjusted my sheet metal so it doesn’t hit anymore. A whole lot cheaper, less time consuming, and more fun than all that custom work. I’ve also customized all the body panels too.
I field adjusted mine a couple of weeks ago. I don't care for that look. A club member summed things up pretty well for me. "If your 4x4 looks like shit, why should the public think we are going to take care of the lands our trails are on." I could not argue.

Besides, chicks don't understand body damage.

I need a little more weight on the rear axle anyhow.

-Wayne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Yeah. It looks like those Jerry cans and Rubbermaid box will do a fine job.
Hey now, that swing away bar that holds the cans and action packer LIFTS OFF!

I put it inside when the going gets UGLY!

Ya, she is pretty isnt she!




Army tanks,

Tom B




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,999 Posts
Wayne look up a sheet metal fabber or HVAC shop. They will have a set of rollers and can do any radius panal you want.
Ken
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top