Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put in 56"allpro rears with longer shackles..(4runner with dual cases)now I have a really bad vibration that gets worse during deceleration..will a stock toy CV fix this problem?or do I have to get a custom unit??...any help or experience would be cool..thanks

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Before you buy anything - have you tried changing your pinion angle?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Correct me if Im wrong but for cv drivelines dont you aim the pinion directly at the rear output yoke. And on u joint ones you match the degrees of the output yoke and the diff yoke within 4 degrees of each other?

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: wheelinjp ]

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
The cure for rear vibration is to install a CV in the rear on the tcase end AND rotate the pinion up so it points directly at the tcase. Here is a pick of what the pinion should look like....

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so I have a stock toy CV out of an 89 that I'm going to get made to fit ...is that particular CV good enough to work ? ...thanks for all the help...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Originally posted by Chris Geiger:
<STRONG>...AND rotate the pinion up so it points directly at the tcase. Here is a pick of what the pinion should look like....</STRONG>
Be careful doing this - I have mine rotated like this (6 deg) and the diff fill hole will overflow with almost a quart less oil than it should. I have a very steep driveway, and I park it pointed downhill to fill the remaining quart.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Originally posted by Oso:
<STRONG>so I have a stock toy CV out of an 89 that I'm going to get made to fit ...is that particular CV good enough to work ? ...thanks for all the help...</STRONG>
Yes that CV will work and as said above you will need a little extra oil in the diff. I find adding an extra quart through the vent on top of the diff is easy to do.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Check the maximim angle on that CV also. I believe the 86 and up CV's don't flex as well. I have a Tacoma front CV in the rear of my Landcruiser and it flexes like the pre-86 ones.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
You can make the CV flex better by taking it apart and clearancing the cone/center. Look at it before you take it apart and you'll see where they interfere.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
check w/ Jesse at High Angle.

He can answer any tech questions about your CV, and will build your shaft to work right!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used 2.5 shims because I had them on hand and seemed that any more than that would be too thick to use without putting in bolts with longer heads...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts