Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Searched and couldnt find anything

2002 Z71-208k

When turning at slow speeds (pulling into a parking spot, out of the driveway) I hear a popping type noise and my rear tires are slipping. Is something in my diff or axle broken? Never done any major work on an axle so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.:homer:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was what I was afraid of. Are there any quick fix tips or tricks? Trying to avoid throwing to much money at the truck as I am getting a new one in the next few months and this one will turn into a project.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
There is an easy fix. Find someone with a welder and burn everything together. It will be essentially a spool at that point.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Either find another good used G80, or get an open differential. Do so immediately, before you take the ring and pinion out with it. If you need parts and someone to talk you through things over the phone let me know. I have good used and new parts available to repair that.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,278 Posts
Another option is to find another 10 bolt and swap the entire axle in for the time being (or a 14 bolt semi-float), but this isn't quite as easy as you need one with disc brake rear.

I bet you could find a 10 bolt for ~$100 used if you're lucky. Finding one with discs may be the tough part.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Another option is to find another 10 bolt and swap the entire axle in for the time being (or a 14 bolt semi-float), but this isn't quite as easy as you need one with disc brake rear.

I bet you could find a 10 bolt for ~$100 used if you're lucky. Finding one with discs may be the tough part.
Why would you yank a used axle that needs a carrier and replace it with a used axle you know nothing about?

Go buy a used open diff and put in new bearings while your there.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,278 Posts
Because he said that he only needs it to last a few months before it becomes a project truck.

I didn't say it was the best option. Its AN option.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice. I pulled the diff cover, changed out the fluids and threw some lucas oil stabilizer in there. So far, (knocking on wood) the problem has went away. Nothing like a good :mr-t: rig. In the mean time I am keeping my eye out for a 14 bolt so I can be ready for the swap when this one goes out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts