Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm tooling down the road and hear this whine/grinding noise when I let off the gas (coasting with the clutch pedal out). After some thinking and listening when I accelerate, push the clutch in, coast with the clutch out etc, I decided to drain the rear diff (1999 Taco e-locked) and found the fluid looking more like black metallic paint than anything else. Also dumped out some small round metal pieces. I'd post pics of them but I don't have any webhosting for pics. Obviously something in there came loose and was eaten. Anybody had this problem? Any clues? I'd like to know what I might be looking for before I pull the third tomorrow.

·
Registered
952 Posts
i think when you pull it youll know, if axle splines are gone, r&p chipped. if none of those are damaged then your locker is toast(but if your locker is toast, think its safe to say something else will be screwed up). just my .02

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Common sense kinda tells ya its BROKEN :shaking: :shaking: :shaking:

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
I had a similar problem but caught it before any real damage was done. When I had a third built, the retainer cap was not torqued properly so it allowed the cap to loosen a bit. Under load there was no noise because of the rotational force making it run true, but when I'd coast, the carrier would wobble enough to howl like crazy. Took it back, they appologized, retorqued them properly, and hooked me up on some other stuff for my trouble.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Houston we have a problem. hahahahahaha

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
Me and the wife were out for a Sunday drive on a little county road called the Rubicon, we were at a little whistle stop called the "Old Sluice" when there was a funny noise from the rear end. This was the results!!!!! :grinpimp:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
By golly, that looks like an ARB cross pin :D

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
I Lean said:
Weird, a broken ARB? Never woulda expected that one.
Thats why you upgrade and throw the toy stuff away :flipoff2:

·
Registered
284 Posts
according to the guys that replied to my post when i said iam fedup with breaking toyota parts before, you must be a f--kin animal and a stupid driver. but i know thats not the case the toy parts are just limited. to me it sounds like R & P which also means you must do new bearing the carrier may be okay, this comes from experience. have fun repairing it or forking out the bucks.

I like crash's post, what a f--kin differance i think the one on the right will hold up a bit better :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I Lean said:
Weird, a broken ARB? Never woulda expected that one.
The greatest ARB break i've ever seen was in a jeep (who would have thought huh) this kid was doing a doughnut and decieded to flip the switch a huge bang was the result. Split the ARB case right in half. Thats some carnage.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
bron86co said:
The greatest ARB break i've ever seen was in a jeep (who would have thought huh) this kid was doing a doughnut and decieded to flip the switch a huge bang was the result. Split the ARB case right in half. Thats some carnage.
How about this one!!!!!! Took seven years to do it!!!!! :grinpimp:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts