Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the must does before the next comp is get some better rear brakes. I'm thinking about rear disc and have done research on what I will need but am wondering about master cylinder upgrades. What works best. (Oh I forgot 92 Tracker with stock master w/ Toyota axles)

I'm mostly in need of better cutting brakes. Right now I have to mash the handbrake really hard to get them to work.

To sum it up I want to be able to hit the hand break with ease, lock either side tight with ease so I can get the most out of the front dig.

Thanks Bryan

Attachments

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
hey bud, got some tips for ya

I just swapped from an FJ80 MC to a chevy one that a guy in Paola KS makes an adapter for. AWESOME brakes, FJ80 worked good but only till a vertical situation then it gets air in it and scores the MC and it's done. I have 3 MC's that I would carry with me

the next tip is to use the brake pedal some. Pedal, handle, off pedal, dig. this just uses the handle to hold the pressure not apply it. Also your gonna have to "feel" when you can use just one and when you'll need both and a rock to catch on. My yota digs for shit cause it's so light in the rear

·
Registered
585 Posts
Maybe add another small caliper to each rear disc for a hand actuated hydraulic brake?

Something like a moped caliper?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
oh and for rear disc

don't get sky's bracket - poor quality for the price

maybe check out ruffstuffspecialties if your gonna buy a bracket.

I'd suggest chevy 3/4T calipers, and a weld on roundy round bracket, chevy rotor and slip it over the shaft. makes spares and rear axle replacement easier.

Only problem with chevy rear stuff is that it's better than the front and a proportioning valve is a must and sometimes 2 stacked

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was gonna get Sky's but I'll check out the other one.

Hey the whole dual caliper might not be a bad idea. I bet if you flip the bracket on the other side and get two more calipers that would work great. Just hook the second caliper right to the hand brake. You would need a separate reservoir but I think it could work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If they are easy to come by in the US you can use volvo calipers they are smaller than toy ones, are 4 pots but with separate circuits. So you can plumb say the top 2 pistons into your foot pedal and run a separate hand leaver via its own master cylinder to the the other 2 pistons works great...

·
ZUK Herder
4,496 Posts
oh and for rear disc

don't get sky's bracket - poor quality for the price
are you serious ... Sky bracket is great... remember it is build for use with the caddy calipers (with ebrake) and says you can use gm g body if you modify them.
caddy calipers bolt right on, Gbody require a little grinding ... not bad for $70

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
first - looks like $80-90 to me?

I paid $90 + something like $15 shipping over 2yrs ago makin them more than $100 for some brackets

when these things used to be $5 at the roundy round shop

http://www.aa-mfg.com/pdshop/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1001
http://www.aa-mfg.com/pdshop/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1000

If they aren't think enough for you then buy 2 bolt em together and weld em on

Sky's - their site 2-3yrs ago didn't mention the grinding - no instructions to suggest it either. Caused lots of headaches for me and my $100. That wouldn't have been a big deal if the damn holes would have lined up with the calipers - causing me to have to redrill (waller) and tap the hole (oval now)

Hey looky here I still got pics
Grind the nub off the calipers or you'll never get the brakes bled or working right

here's how well they lined up

·
ZUK Herder
4,496 Posts
sorry mine and the other 8 sets i've seen have lined up perfect guess you got a bad one

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
i wanna cookie..i made my own brackets and used toyota calipers [4 piston]mc is off a dodge stealth[in a gump voice] they stop goood

,the monterro mc's are rear disc brake,with e-brake

1 - 12 of 12 Posts