Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive got a 1st gen tacoma daily driver im building. It will probably be 4500ish pounds on 37s and 40s for snow. Ive got a 97 FJ80 front axle.

I picked the the FROR full float conversion for the tacoma rear but I really didnt wanna pay for the “drotor” kit which uses 4th gen 4runner rotors and calipers.

So found i could use mustang cobra calipers (with built in ebrake) along with the 4th gen rotors. Im having seconds thoughts now that ive already bought all the parts though.

The Cobra calipers are 38mm as compared to the 45mm used on 4th gen runner or 48mm for the matching FJ80 rear axle.

When i decided on the cobra calipers i noticed guys were using supra calipers back in the day with even smaller pistons but they seem small in contrast to other setups.

Anybody have any insight? I would much rather use what i have but i think i can adapt 4th gen backing plates myself if 38mm is not adequate. I have some backing plates lined up already

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
it'll be fine.

i'm going to be running my ifs calipers and rotors, for at least a little bit to see if it sucks as much as everybody says :rasta:

thought being that the calipers that use the mismatched piston sizes should work as a 'quick takeup' of sorts. the small piston will move further with the same input from the master, and then the larger piston will catch up and apply pressure. hopefully be enough to control pad knockback with the semi-float axle.

anyways, no it really doesn't matter much on your rears if you are using small diameter calipers

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Converting a semi float housing to full float is retarded. A semi float housing isn’t designed to support the full weight of the vehicle. I know of at least 2 or 3 people that have bent housings running a full float kit. There is a reason the full float housings are twice the thickness of a semi float. :homer: As far as caliper size goes you won’t notice anything.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
it'll be fine.

i'm going to be running my ifs calipers and rotors, for at least a little bit to see if it sucks as much as everybody says :rasta:
Have fun, I did it and it sucked in the rocks!! Street it worked fine!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hindsight is 20-20, but offset pinion would affect what i can stuff under the box too. Im putting a water storage tank opposite the fuel tank.

The rear axle was shaved and diff cover done before i made the plan to do the FF conversion. Also i was kinda obsessed with keeping things as light and high clearance as possible.

If i were to start from square one i would probably go FJ80 rear though and deal with reduced water capacity. At least i have lifetime warranty on shafts this way

1 - 7 of 7 Posts