Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am switching to discs on my ff 14 bolt rear. I remember seeing the blackbird kit on Pirate 4x4. It is a very reasonable priced kit and looks appropriate.

Has anyone used their kits?
Does anyone have any better recommendations?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm doing a disc swap on my 12 bolt and will have about 50 buck's in it. If you know what parts to buy you can beat(price wise) any disc brake kit by a mile. I'm sure that several people has done this on a 14 bolt and a good search would probly let you read and get the info on what parts you need.

My parts list:
Brackets for the calipers from A&A Manufacturing .....$13.00 a pair
Z71 Rotors from Autozone ......about $20.00 pair
Monte Carlo Calipers swapped parts for new ones from a freind.
A few bucks for lines and hardware.

A 14 bolt would be a little different but you get the idea. Search around and find what parts you need.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks anyway

I have been away awhile. Sorry about the inconvience of what have must such a stupid question. I am catching up on reading several threads and several of them have metioned the how rude some people have gotten.

I was getting to order the blackbird kit and just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with how precision the kit was made. Is this kit any damn good or should I order a different one.

Besides, If didn't ask such stupid questions, were would you be able vent your irrational hostility. Take a beta-blocker and you will live longer.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Seems like I read somewhere you can use the rotor's off a 77 or 78 model F150 4x4 on a 9" rear. You could probly use the same caliper bracket's I've got and use Monte Carlo calipers. I left a link abouve to A&A Manufacturing if you want to look at what they have. I don't know for sure but it might just work. Hope that might help ya.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I used Wilwood 4 pistion dynalite calipers, the offered a very simple weld on bracket for like 10$, and the caliper was 100$, pads, were 30$, and the rotors were 30$ (mid 80's f150 front rotors) I know this is quite a bit more expensive than some of the other do it yourself kits, but it makes for unbeatable breaking power, and it uses all new top quality parts.

John

(I know I need to get my crap painted!)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
61,978 Posts
MoabZJ said:
Anybody know of any other options for a Ford 9" conversion (78 bronco axle) other than www.bcbronco.com and www.tsmmfg.com?

I searched and came up with the same results as above which didn't seem to yield much for the 9".

Cody
www.metalfusionfab.com offers a universal fit weld on disk brake bracket kit that may work for you... Contact them and see if they can help you out :)

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
sorry i am a cheap arse :D i just walk around the junkyard with a dial caliper and a note pad.:flipoff2:
seriously go to the local yard and do some measuring. there are a shitload of companys that make brackets for just about any caliper (or buy some steel like i did) find a caliper that fits a rotor thickness that has the same bolt pattern.
example rear disk brake kit for dana 44 5 on 5.5 $600(or so)
mine: front rotors suzuki samuri 25 bucks each NEW,calipers rear of a 1990 Nissan 300z (same rotor thickness built in parking brake) 40 bucks junk yard in almost new condition. brackets were 2 hours of my time with some found steel

saved $500+ to by beer and Heep parts:flipoff2:

dont be too quick with the guys who tell ya to search, you could get a better system for a lot less.
and if all else fails or you dont feel like it you can still buy the kit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.