Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as most of you know i blew up my rear end about a week or so ago. I took the carrier out, and noticed that the ring and pinion were still in good shape, but the pinion bearings had a bunch of metal shavings and crap in them which caused the bearings to catch. Anyway, i got new bearings, and used the original races. My question is: When i tightened the pinion flange and everything down to 130Nm the pinion was harder to turn than before. This is because of the new bearing. But do you think that I really need to replace the shim or will everything loosen up after i drive it a little? Go easy on me:flipoff2:

Flame on!

Brad

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Brad,

*disclaimer* I'm no expert.

Ok, the way I see it it'll do one of two things. It'll either tighten up more (i.e. sieze the bearing), or loosen up.

More than likely won't stay the same, so I s'pose you need to flip your quarter and see which of those two things will happen.

I used to think that cars would magically heal themselves, but then I blew up the motor in that VW van of mine. :flipoff2:

Ran pretty damn good for throwing a rod through the side of the motor and draining all the oil out. Actually got it turned around and drove it out of the canyon.

Your problem? I'd get a professional opinion.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Rarely is it a good idea to reuse races with new bearings. Bearings enjoy a very intimate relationship with their races and as a result, the new bearings may not fit well into the old races. Also, any damage that may have been done to the bearings when it grenaded are, unless catastrophic, invisible to unaided eyes.

Keep in mind I am the Cheapest Cheap bastard out there (currently running hand operated brake lights and my heater fan switch hangs out of the dash by the wires, it's a toggle switch.

Go out and buy a new set of bearings with the races, reassemble and see what you get. Also, approach the torque values slwoly, ie. incrementally.

Get your ring and pinion Magna-Fluxed also, it might save your having to do this again. At least you'll get better at it!

Peace,
Paul

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I would not reuse the races. Cheap to put in now, very expensive if you have some sort of pinion bearing failure (seizure!). Just as Tom W.

Billster

·
Registered
158 Posts
Keep in mind I am the Cheapest Cheap bastard out there (currently running hand operated brake lights and my heater fan switch hangs out of the dash by the wires, it's a toggle switch.

Peace,
Paul [/B]
Wicked - hand operated brake lights:D

You have just entered the Bodge Hall of Fame my son :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I to would not reuse the old races, but in all reality, they wont hurt anything if the diff is setup properly, and the races are in good shape.
The bearings will loosen up, as long as they are not to tight. Anything over 30inlbs is a bit to high. So get a torque meter, and check the drag. Also keep in mind that new races would likely tighten up the pinion even more. You could have more of a problem than you think.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Bodgerover said:

Wicked - hand operated brake lights:D

You have just entered the Bodge Hall of Fame my son :flipoff2:
<Elvis voice on> Thank you, thank you very much<Elvis voice off>

In spite of the ridiculously small parts, I was able to cobble the switch back together again, hopefully to last long enough for a new one to be shipped in. Hopefully the war won't stop boats leaving England!

I did learn the switch is very similar, if not identical to those used in BMWs 90-94.

Peace,
Paul
:flipoff2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts